Gauges - help please

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Right, so on import my car came with a set of gauges on the dash that were oil pressure, oil temp and water temp. Me being me...quite short, I stupidly asked for them to be removed as I couldn't quite see over the dash. haha (it also came over with a lowered seat rail).

All cable,sandwich plates, sensors etc were left in, and they all worked....all they were asked to do was uninstall them and leave the wire coiled up should I refit at a later date. :)

The problem I now have is that when the garage removed them, they didn't label any wires/plugs ect or take any care upon removal so now re installation even for me (an electrician) is becoming a confusing mess. I have managed to identify a few of the key cables that may be needed simply by following them from the engine bay back to the cabin, but after lots of "Google imaging" to try and find what I am after and nothing has even come close. This is the problem........

the mess....

All the connectors

The cable that has been pulled out from the connector... as the law of sod would have its the oil pressure gauge. Grrrrrr :xfurious:

The gauges...

Oil pressure gauge. (note the damage was caused by me trying to remove the connector from inside gauge with a pair of pliers)

And the Oil temp gauge....

And finally the connector which should have the loose black/ red/ white wire pictured above, jointed into it...... Gunna be fiddly..... :xno:

My question to you guys is does any one have a photo, or is any one kind enough to possably photograph the rear of their gauges so I can see whats going where??

I will try and do my best to fathom it out, but I mainly need to see what is plugged into an oil pressure gauge, and what order the coloured cables connect into the corresponding connector.... and I will try my best to re connect my loose ends back into to where it belongs and plug it all in. xthumbup

Amazing how one simple mistake can take ages to sort. haha.

Many thanks in advance guys, I know its a big ask but someone is bound to have the info I'm after locked in their brain somewhere. :xgrin:

James

anton1234

Advanced Member
well to me the the plug with (red,yellow,black and white) will be 12v+ , ignition switch live, ground and illumination so 1 for each gauge, and then I get lost and would suggest the blue connectors are an elimination process,is each blue plug same size/shape?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Hi Jimmer, so just to clarify the connector you're holding in the last photo is supposed to connect to the bare ended wires in the third photo?

Is the gauge harness still plummed into a live feed somewhere in the car?

It looks a little different to mine but I could be wrong, it was maybe a year ago since I set mine up and im sure the gauges were daisy chained together somehow so the number of connectors you have doesn't make sense to me how mine is wired up but as I said it was a while back when I hooked it all up.

One other thing, is there a controller box that goes with this somewhere in the car like the Mugen controller? Just had a look at my controller and there are four connectors going into it so it could be the two blue connectors and one black go into that, then the other three connectors go into the gauges, but its impossible to tell which is which without tracing them back to the senders.

I could take a pic of the back of my gauges but the pod is stuck down really really well to the dash, so it will be a real pain not something I can do in a few minutes. However recently ive been wanting to change it to a matt finish so I am planning to take the pod off for an afternoon while I respray it and I could take a pic then, but im not sure when im going to find the time to do it so you may be waiting a while.

When I do take it off i'll be sure to take a pic though, if you do have a controller this may not be as hard as it looks and you already know where one of the connectors goes so it might just be a simple process of elimination, famous last words lol

Easiest way might be for you to pop by if you're in the Cheltenham area any time soon, it will make a lot more sense if i can see it in person and compare to mine.

HTH?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yes, the blues are the same size, thats a good shout. I thought that too, needed a second opinion really. But the one with connector missing doesnt have a yellow. Then on following the wire that goes straight to a sensor on the plate that wedges in behind the oil filter. so then that ruled out the ignition wire rtc as i couldnt work out how it gets its supply to go to the sensor, so then is it piggy backed from somewhere? Make sense? Haha Will random plugging in blow any fuses or just make the dials go mental,if its wrong? im not sure if they are reliant on correct polarity or not. be just my luck they are and fry them. Lol

anton1234

Advanced Member
Well as max says there is probably a control box somewhere?? The blue connectors are maybe just signal wires and as they should only plug in one way the shouldn't effect polarity, but don't take my word for it, just having a stab in the dark, hopefully someone with a diagram will come along and all will become clear :)

jpstyper

Advanced Member
From what I can get from the pics I think they are auto meter gauges and the dont have a control box like the defi gauges from what I see the three white plugs are the power one goes in each gauge in one of the end plugs in the row of three and the two temp gauges have the blue plugs with 2 wires which plug in the bottom middle of the gauge and the one with the broken plug goes in the temp gauge upper middle plug hope that helps

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yes they are auto meter gauges, no there is no control box and yes the black plug should have those three wires in it. Lol you can see now why its confusing, all I can find is the defi but through a control box, these have nothing.

Jpstyper that sounds logical and makes complete sense. Yrs the black was removed from the top middle, and I have just managed to trace a blue plug cable through to what appears to be a temp sensor. Haha dude did you fit these??? Haha ill try that at the weekend, just plug things in.lol

Only thing stopping me messing it up now is which way to put those three loose wires back in that connector... Hmmmmm

Cheers lads :)

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Lol, sounds like im not helping, what jpstyper is saying does make sense though, hope you get it sorted soon mate.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Dude, its all helped. Trust me, your info is still valud even if it doesnt directly help me. Lol who knows im yet to try :) appreciate it mate ;)

jpstyper

Advanced Member
Glad to be of some help from what experience ive had it looks like the power can go in either side of the gauge as if you had multiple gauges you could have linked them off each others power rather than having 3 separate ones and the three plug that has come off if you have a multimeter measure the pins off the back of the gauge once it is powered as the red and black are usually the power for the sensor and the white is the signal return