Gear Box Oil

Kiss_It

Hi all,

I was just wondering if I am able to use either of these 2 gear box oil's and can I mix them both if i dont have enough of one? Im sure I read that the DC5 takes just under 2.5l?

Cheers guys

cpoh

Advanced Member
I wouldnt , Honda MTF 3 is around €7 a litre, its just not worth the hassle for the sake of small change.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
As above plus try not to mix oils/fluids. mine used just under 2 litres a few months back

Kiss_It

Cheers guys, I do have 2 and half bottles of the AMS OIL, is this still no good?. Is asking where do I get Honda MTF 3 from a stupid question - from Honda I guess? I see on a traders website 3 bottles for £40?

rascal69

Advanced Member
I would send oilman a little message.
I know that a lot of folk use the land rover stuff in their b series gearboxes.
They also rate the ams stuff for smooth gear changes?

Kiss_It

I actually got the ams oil from oilman for my DC2, thats why I have the 2 and half bottles left lol. Was just hoping to use what i had if I could? Oilman will know if that would be ok to use in the DC5 yeah?

Kiss_It

Ok, cheers for your help/advice people. Looks like im gonna have to spend another £40 on more gear box oil :(

cpoh

Advanced Member
You will just about get the 2L in depending on how its jacked up. You definitely dont need more than 2 either. Ring your local honda dealer for the mtf3 costs, bit strange its close to half price here in Ireland.

phozy888

Advanced Member
Cheers guys, I do have 2 and half bottles of the AMS OIL, is this still no good?. Is asking where do I get Honda MTF 3 from a stupid question - from Honda I guess? I see on a traders website 3 bottles for £40?
There's nothing wrong with the Amsoil I've used this personally and find it much smoother then the mtf3 and you only require 2 litres... about 1.8 if im correct as I had a tiny bit left over. save your money !

rascal69

Advanced Member
Honda gearbox oil is ok not the best.
This stuff might be better.
Ask oil man mate. An sure it will be fine.
If I remember correctly land rover stuff is similar or exact same as mtf3 Honda stuff but cheaper.
Half these guys proberly havnt tried any thing bar Honda stuff. Mfactory recommend torco mtf. Ask Steve at speed8 and he will tell you this is a great oil.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I changed my gearbox oil tonight to Honda Mtf. I'm not sure what was in there before but it was red in colour and much much thicker in viscosity than the Honda stuff. I've notice a real change in smoothness on my drive home tonight with the Honda stuff. Think the thiner viscosity really helps keep everything running smooth. Also fitted a Tegiwa magnetic sump plug.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Forgot to say also that the RSX manual suggests about 1.8L I believe. I nearly got though the two bottles with the car jacked up so about right really.

rascal69

Advanced Member
I changed my gearbox oil tonight to Honda Mtf. I'm not sure what was in there before but it was red in colour and much much thicker in viscosity than the Honda stuff. I've notice a real change in smoothness on my drive home tonight with the Honda stuff. Think the thiner viscosity really helps keep everything running smooth. Also fitted a Tegiwa magnetic sump plug.
Really? I have fresh Honda stuff in and uprated carbon syncos and I don't find it that smooth. I prefer torco mtf and mfactory recommend that.
Will be changing again to torco or another one oil man can recommend