Gearbox - 300+ ftlb

Dannymean

Advanced Member
Hi guys, was just wondering what people have done to they're gearboxes who are running big power 300+ ftlb. And have they had any trouble etc? I'm running 450bhp and 350ftlb at the moment and my 4th has gone. So was interested to see what people are running so I can make my mind up what to do!

Thanks

Dan

kazmo

Advanced Member
don't know but i do know dave on here has done his gearbox, he's been running those sort of figures with no issues as far as i'm aware, for about 4 years... worth a pm :xhappy:

Dannymean

Advanced Member
I dunno yet George , been working flat out so I haven't had chance to get it up there to look. I imagine it's the gear tooth you can hear it rattling around inside like its snapped off lol which Dave is that kazmo? Shall him send a pm straight away!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Get a dog'box. That will sort it out!

It's Dave with the insane MandM kit in black

dave c

400hp K20
Dave (black FL) went for an Mfactory gearset supplied and fitteed at TGM IIRC, JDC5 did the same and then i think uprated again when he upped the power.

To be fair it depends how you drive them, drive it with mechanical sympathy and it will last well, drive it without and you will have problems.

You can ask your tuner to map out some of the torque to increase the life of the box. Ideally you should have a more liner torque curve rather than a sharp spike.

I run an oem box and have only done 4th gear once on track. When i replaced i went for another OEM box as my map is more box friendly than most turbo setups

Dannymean

Advanced Member
Thanks dave spot on answer that! Well I've give Dave (black FL) anyway see what he says. I shall give JDC5 a message to !

beppe786

Beppe
dave c said:
To be fair it depends how you drive them, drive it with mechanical sympathy and it will last well, drive it without and you will have problems.
:xyes: this is correct well said Dave :xyes:

Drive anything like you stole it and it will break

Fez

Advanced Member
Could be worth looking into having a gearbox oil cooler fitted? Could help with the longetivity of it.

Dannymean

Advanced Member
Problem is I wasn't driving it like I stole it 🙄 4th gear put my foot down and bang 😂 Could be worth looking into fez! Good shout that.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
Could either get a forged gear set like albins. Expensive though about 3k just for the gear set.

Or get the map tweaked to reduce the torque.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sabina c

i talk recent with 10k racing about turbo and they tell me stock engine and transmisson will handle 350lbs torque with no problem at all. unfortunately honda stock gearbox can not back up their claims lol