Gearbox advise

bethtowse

Hey guys

So I‘m going to be putting a new clutch in the car soon. Occasionally the 1st to 2nd gear change grinds when at speed. I‘ve read the 2nd gear is a common fault so was going to change that anyway. I just wondered if there is anything you recommend replacing while the gearbox is out?

Thanks in advance!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Don‘t just change the second gear, get first gear and the hub assembly too. Costs around £700 for the lot but my god it‘s bliss. Best work I had done to my gearbox about 5 years ago, not crunched a gear change even from cold since. :)

Just replacing second will do nothing as the parts associated with it will still be worn. It‘s pricey but definitely a worthy move.

bethtowse

Jimmer said:
Don‘t just change the second gear, get first gear and the hub assembly too. Costs around £700 for the lot but my god it‘s bliss. Best work I had done to my gearbox about 5 years ago, not crunched a gear change even from cold since. :)

Just replacing second will do nothing as the parts associated with it will still be worn. It‘s pricey but definitely a worthy move.
Thank you! Did you go to Honda for the parts or get them elsewhere? I‘ve seen the 2nd gear on Tegiwa Imports but don‘t remember seeing the 1st gear.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I took the car to TGM with second gear crunch, and had them sort it. As they took the gearbox apart I said just refresh the lot and they advised on 1st and 2nd, etc. Parts in stock. They were seeing a few with issues way back when so I imagine it‘s still a stocked item. Just expensive but totally worth it. Yes it was all Honda OEM.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
ive got some used final drives if you need, also have some unrated diffs too