Gearbox Bearing Failure

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Well with only a few weeks to go until my ring and spa trip my gearbox has decided to pack up! Everything is operating as normal even the diff is working however there is a horrible noise coming from the gearbox. I've had it up on jack to investigate and noise only happens when front wheels are spinning. I've ruled out drive shafts by stopping each wheel bu chucking them individually whilst in gear etc so this leads me to believe its either the diff or the output shaft.

Is there anyway I can work out which bearing has gone or is it only possible to check taking the box out and splitting it?

I'm led to believe from the seller of my gearbox who is still on this forum that it has an Mfactory LSD and up rated bearing kit for the gearbox so very surprised this has happened especially as my OEM box and LSD did me well for 150+k miles!!

Also if I need a bearing kit where is the best place to buy? Presume there is a diff bearing kit and a gearbox bearing kit?

jay82

Advanced Member
have the same problem. the noise goes when you clutch the car
think there called ley shaft bearings
get a mechanic to look to make sure but heres the part numbers of the bearings

91002-ppp-003
91004-ppp-004
91001-ppp-005
91003-ppp-004
there the part numbers for the four bearings i needed just make sure thats whats gone before buying them

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'm not aware that you can get uprated gearbox bearings?

Assuming you do open the box I'd replace all 4 anyway. The 2 sets of diff bearings, the input and the output. They are £30 a set so £120 for the lot.

Can you get a video up of the noise? Is it only while it's in gear? Does it do it with clutch in etc?

Marachew1

Hi,

How did this go Coyote?

I have a similar noise issue where I have a noise coming from the front left that goes with the revs.

It disappears when i put my foot on the clutch in neutral but it loud whirling noise when in neutral without my foot on the clutch.

If im driving along and put my foot on the clutch the revs dip as normal but then continue to dip down to almost 500 then back up again to idle.

Any help on this would be appreciated as I dont have much knowledge about the different bearings ect.
My clutch works fine and someone told me that if your foot is on the clutch and the noise goes away then it isnt your clutch???

Thanks in advance.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like your input shaft bearings in the gearbox to me. Yes its a fairly big job but don't panic! Best getting it seen to now rather than let it worsen as if its just a few bearings to replace then it not going to bankrupt you. If the whole box lets go and takes gears with it then your talking thousands.

Where are you based?

Marachew1

Thanks for the quick reply.

Im based near Bristol but dont mind traveling a little to get it done properly........

Do you think it is worth going somewhere for them to take a look? the cars done 80k.

Thanks again

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Sounds like it would be worth getting the clutch done at the same time as you aren't really going to be paying much extra if anything on labour and the clutch itself is only around £160. Can't recommend TGM enough. I had very similar work done, new bearings, new clutch, swapped diff and he did a great job. Worth the drive IMO

Marachew1

My car has some paperwork from TGM with the previous owner. I think im going to give them a call.......

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
I live in Gloucester and have made several trips to TGM
I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I have a bearing problem with my gearbox. It only whines underload. Will be getting a full rebuild

Mebz

Advanced Member
Shortstuff said:
I live in Gloucester and have made several trips to TGM
I wouldn't go anywhere else.

I have a bearing problem with my gearbox. It only whines underload. Will be getting a full rebuild
Does it whine when you rev it in neatural as well?

I have a whine and have been advised its the power steering, the whine increases very slightly when turning as well

Eight Speed

Advanced Member
More than likely the PAS mate, check the condition of the fluid first. The pump may need replacing or refurbing mate.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
If it is a pump I have a spare. I replaced mine after thinking the same thing but in my case it turns out it's the water pump

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
Does it whine when you rev it in neatural as well?

I have a whine and have been advised its the power steering, the whine increases very slightly when turning as well
Mine only really whines under load of acceleration. Gets louder the faster you go/higher revs.

Tom has showed me one of the bearings it could be in the Gearbox. Its been whining ever since I bought it, sadly I didn't understand it then as I could of had it fixed under warranty. Ive done 14k and its only got slightly worse. Currently saving to get a full rebuild. Ill get all bearings replaced at once :) with a new clutch

Mebz

Advanced Member
Eight Speed said:
More than likely the PAS mate, check the condition of the fluid first. The pump may need replacing or refurbing mate.
Changed the aux belt and replaced PAS fluid all by myself (how manly is that....), whine has gone.

Then went for a blast on some A and B roads, wow what a car

chrex

Advanced Member
Well - today i really noticed that my box is whining its tits off. :( It has definitely gotten worse recently and it's defo the box as when the car is idling and the clutch is pressed in, the noise disappears. Release the clutch and it comes back. Not happy as i'm gonna have to poss look at a rebuild rather than get the coilovers i wanted, but i will take it to vtecdirect and get the box fluid changed next time i am home, get them to have a listen and see what they think before i commit to anything.

Doesn't sound good though. Moving into a 'not much luck' period - i can feel it, and i don't need it with the wedding and house move coming up! Arrgh!