Gearbox feels loose as hell

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Hey guys recently bought another dc5 it crunches in second at low revs even when warm not all the time and the box feels really loose I have to try and find the gear what do u think is wrong do you think I will end a new box ?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Could just be bushes on the selector itself especially if there's lots of play in the stick.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
I'm gna have to take it somewer I think to get it checked hope I don't need a new box that won't be cheap

Mark_teg

Staff member
Shane, I've warned you before about text talk on the forum! Come on mate, sort it out :)

I'd take it TGM if convenient. I've heard good things about Grinspeed if you're oop north.

jasondc55

Advanced Member
Check your front engine mount Shane these are weak and tend to break with harsh gear changes .

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Ok mate il give that a look tomorrow cheers I'm goin to see if I can find a gearbox place that will have a look aswell

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Been over to the gearbox place today and the guy said it seems to just not want to go in enough that's why it's crunching so I booked it in for next Monday so they can inspect it more I had a look at the engine mount that seems to be ok

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Clutch? I know that will stop it. Gearbox oil change to freshen it up, as said, check the selector fork thingy and make sure its tight, could be the shifter unit in the cabin shot maybe. How many miles has it covered? could be one of those, or all to hinder the experience. try them before then looking to change the synchros etc, will be alot cheaper. :)

shanedixon

Advanced Member
It's getting checked on Monday so you never know hopefully it will be just stretched cables but i will post back on here to update once it's been looked at

ozzy147

Advanced Member
Hi mate, I had a similar problem with my gearbox feeling very sloppy and loose. I changed the shifter cables and shifter box but that didnt cure it. Turned out to be a loose component in the shifter mechanism. Have a look at my build thread to see the part im on about http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31361-ozzys-cw-dc5/ was a cheap fix! If it is your cables i have a set of perfectly good ones that i took of my car that im trying to sell.

Hope this helps

Lewis_

Hmmm interesting. Is this part on the dc5 box same as the Ep3:

Hope you don't mind me using your pic ozz :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shanedixon

Advanced Member
All fixed I thought I'd post on here to tell you guys what it was it was a pinch bolt on the control module now the gearbox is tight and goes I to second lovely the pinch bolt had worn out happy days £80 fix yay maybe worth ppl checking there's

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Don't know a lot about gearboxes, what's the pinch bolt and where is it?

Edit: Sorry how rude of me! Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it and it wasn't an expensive job, bet you're loving the gear changes now :)

Have to say the DC5 has the best gearbox of any car I've driven and its even better with a short shift kit! Such a nice mechanical feel, I take it for granted, then every now and then I remind myself of how good it is and it brings a big smile to my face.