Gearbox. Full rebuild info pls

big-pete

Advanced Member
i want a full rebuild with all the nice shiny components, but i want advice before hand, ie where to go/what to have done while its being done.

im looking at Mfactory Final drive with full new syncro kit again by mfactory, are there any other box mods i should be doing at the same time??

ill be changing the cables to either kttuned/hybrid racing ones, aswell as the shifter.
while the box is off im going to get a clutch/flywheel done too, along with a drop in sump baffle, and Blox subframe collars.
(opinions on clutch fly options please) im kinda set on a clockwise clutch.
clutch master cylinder upgrade/slave upgrade??

Regards
Pete

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Just call Tom and TGM and he can do and sort all of it for you mate, that‘s the best place locally and the best place for the job imo and he‘ll be able to give you all ge advice needed.

Clutch just go oem and flywheel Tom fits an rts lightened one that he used on all their cars

Fez

Advanced Member
Shifter, yes. But the cables arent much of an upgrade unless yours are stretched/damaged. Imo, i'd save the money on them.

Clutch, unless you're boosted i'd stay oem honda.
Flywheel, there aren't many that are a worth while upgrade due to our flywheels only weigh a smidge over 4kgs. So the lightest one is the clockwise, which is the one i'd buy, but i have heard horror storys of them not lasting being used daily. And they are one of the most expensive ones.
Master cylinder i've seen people use em2 civic cylinders, as the dc5/ep3 ones have some valve in them to restrict flow. You can get these off ebay for about £20/30

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Grinspeed too are great with this kind of work plus Stevie is an approved M Factory installer. Get a 5.84 fd done at the same.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Because it shortens your gearing and gives the car a sensation of increased torque. You also get the nice straight cut gearbox whine too. Lot more to it than that, check some K20 final drive clips on YouTube.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Because it shortens your gearing and gives the car a sensation of increased torque. You also get the nice straight cut gearbox whine too. Lot more to it than that, check some K20 final drive clips on YouTube.
changing the final drive will not have any effect on noise.

dc5ian

Advanced Member
to be honest i wouldn't open up a box unless something is wrong or you wanted to change ratios or final drive.

old saying if its not broke dont fix it

however if your doing a few track days and dont intend on going boost then i cant recommend a 5.1 final drive enough

SamDC5

Advanced Member
dc5ian said:
changing the final drive will not have any effect on noise.
The 5.84 does give a whine. Although the gearing would be way too aggressive for a road car in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Richie200

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
The 5.84 does give a whine. Although the gearing would be way too aggressive for a road car in my opinion
Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Mine is far from a daily, but I find it useful in daily situations, like overtime on motorways in sixth, no need to drop down and driving everywhere in vtec. Haha

It does whine a lot mind....

dc5ian

Advanced Member
ive had the 5.1 fitted, i dont see why a 5.8 would whine unless its a straight cut gear

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
dc5ian said:
ive had the 5.1 fitted, i dont see why a 5.8 would whine unless its a straight cut gear
As above they're semi-helical Ian hence the slight whine.

I've been in car with a 5.46 and a 5.3 and there is a clear whine from both (Both M Factory FD's I might add).

dave7368

Advanced Member
Not a 5.1 or 5.46, excuse the poor camera work but turn up the volume and you can just about hear an ever so slight whine from my 3.9 FD... Sounds like an electric milk float at low RPM though haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f80YlN1pBXQ

dc5ian

Advanced Member
dave7368 said:
Not a 5.1 or 5.46, excuse the poor camera work but turn up the volume and you can just about hear an ever so slight whine from my 3.9 FD... Sounds like an electric milk float at low RPM though haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f80YlN1pBXQ
3.9?

Tuneboy

Advanced Member
i opened my box, placed 5.3 FD, mfactory carbon synch and new 2nd gear.

This was one year ago. Since then i reopened it 2 times, because something was wrong. Hate it. Yesterday was the first ride after the latest rebuild and i nearly cant get 1rst and R in when stationary :xfinger:
Plus i get a whine now when coasting. On the throttle is all fine. I dont think this is normal, i cant remember there was a whine with the 5.3 at all, but i also stripped the whole car so i might be just louder inside the cabin now

dc5ian

Advanced Member
Tuneboy said:
i opened my box, placed 5.3 FD, mfactory carbon synch and new 2nd gear.

This was one year ago. Since then i reopened it 2 times, because something was wrong. Hate it. Yesterday was the first ride after the latest rebuild and i nearly cant get 1rst and R in when stationary :xfinger:
Plus i get a whine now when coasting. On the throttle is all fine. I dont think this is normal, i cant remember there was a whine with the 5.3 at all, but i also stripped the whole car so i might be just louder inside the cabin now
sounds like your gearbox wasnt shimmed right