Gearbox issue

Shak

The gearbox on my DC5 feel very loose when selecting gears and also when it‘s in neutral. The stick shift feels like it has play in it. Gears select smoothly and don‘t crunch, any suggestions what it could be? On the actual gearbox there‘s 2 bushes and it‘s been changed to the aluminium ones in the past.

Fez

Advanced Member
Check the bushes on the cables on the shifter side too, they‘ve been known to get a bit loose.

Look at mtec, or acuity shift springs, they stiffen the shift up nicely.

Elliot438

I have the Tegiwa short shifter and cable bushings. It tightened it up nicely but there is still play. It's coming from parts in the shifter box itself so only option for me is aftermarket or new shifter box. With stock shifter it will never be the same as the old Hondas with the rods. If you remove your centre console and wiggle your shifter you should see where the play is

Shak

I have removed the centre consol and the shifter stick has play in it, the round plastic casing around the stick shift has a crack in it so when you move the stick forward and back when in neutral there‘s play but not much when you move it side to side.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi all,

I've spotted some oil patches on the driveway and had a look under mine and the GF's cars for any visible leaks.

I noticed what appears to be oil over the gearbox on my car, it certainly looks as though the housing is covered in oil but not dripping.

I left some cardboard under where the leak is and there was nothing on the cardboard this morning so I'm not sure what is going on.

I'm not finding much on the forum or online about K20 gearbox oil leaks apart from crankshaft seals leaking, but the crankshaft isn't related to the gearbox is it?

It's changing gear fine apart from 2nd which is a bit scrunchy at times but generally the gearchange is excellent and very smooth in the main.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks.

Britz

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Hi all,

I've spotted some oil patches on the driveway and had a look under mine and the GF's cars for any visible leaks.

I noticed what appears to be oil over the gearbox on my car, it certainly looks as though the housing is covered in oil but not dripping.

I left some cardboard under where the leak is and there was nothing on the cardboard this morning so I'm not sure what is going on.

I'm not finding much on the forum or online about K20 gearbox oil leaks apart from crankshaft seals leaking, but the crankshaft isn't related to the gearbox is it?

It's changing gear fine apart from 2nd which is a bit scrunchy at times but generally the gearchange is excellent and very smooth in the main.

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks.
I‘d check the drive shaft seals and around where the gearbox casings meet see if you can track down where it‘s coming from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Thanks mate for the advice. I'm going to get into the garage next week or the following week and have them look over it. Hoping to God that there's no major issues. So you reckon it could be coming from the driveshaft then?

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Can anyone help at all?

Thanks.
When looking at the engine check the back right corner of the rocker cover (should be a square or rectangular bit of metal under a pipe), sometimes (it's a common thing on the K20) this part of the seal has a leak/seeping leak and it can run down and onto the box.

Mine had it when I bought it and it's very common so TGM advised me, worth a look as it could be that mate

Mebz

Advanced Member
carl hammond said:
When looking at the engine check the back right corner of the rocker cover (should be a square or rectangular bit of metal under a pipe), sometimes (it's a common thing on the K20) this part of the seal has a leak/seeping leak and it can run down and onto the box.

Mine had it when I bought it and it's very common so TGM advised me, worth a look as it could be that mate
Mine did this too. New seal sorted it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've taken a look at myself albeit not a great look at the area mentioned Carl and I can't view any visible leaks. It's going into the garage on the 16th now anyway so I'll get them to have a look over it. Cheers for the help lads.

moody_mage

carl hammond said:

I had this too, a new rocker cover gasket sorted it.