Gearbox issues

firthy22

Advanced Member
Towards the end of my track session on Saturday i was experiencing problems with getting gears especially when going down from 4th to 3rd. No crunching just didn't want to go in, when i slowed down for a lap it seemd better so presuming it was a heat issue. Was fine on the drive home yesterday, no issues at all with gears, all as smooth as usual so don't think it's a synchro problem.

Car is 8 years old and probably never had a gear oil change so have ordered some Redline MTL as recommended by a few on the stand on Saturday. Hoping this will cure it but hard to tell as I can't replicate a 20 min track session on open roads, even with no speed limits over here.

Is there anything else I should check or have looked at like the clutch settings.

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Hello,

My car had the same problem, Adjust your clutch so the biting point is about 20mm from the floor. Once on track the clutch, flywheel and clutch cover all get hotter than on normal road use and the cluch does not disengage properly and causes drag on the gearbox. It is a 5 min job to do and there is a how too guide on here too.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Hello,

My car had the same problem, Adjust your clutch so the biting point is about 20mm from the floor. Once on track the clutch, flywheel and clutch cover all get hotter than on normal road use and the cluch does not disengage properly and causes drag on the gearbox. It is a 5 min job to do and there is a how too guide on here too.
Interesting post this. My clutch bite point is already near the floor but I put this down to it being worn. I know for a fact my car was setup for track some time in the past so now you are making me wonder if that's all it is? My problem is I have to use all of the clutches travel to the floor to change gear. Other problem is I get some judder whilst finding the bite from cold. One last thing is my clutch is much shorter travel and heavier than oem. Is it sounding worn to you guys or is it an adjustment issue? What would make it feel heavier under foot?
Back to the original post, my mate had problems with the hydraulic clutch on his rx8 similar to what you are describing. His was also a heat issue when in a traffic jam during summer the heat expanded the fluid and he could no longer engage gears. Had to pull over and wait for it to cool down. Sounds a similar type of thing to me as in being heat related?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I get a judder too sometimes from cold. Only on the first bite in the morning then it's fine. Think it's just the compounds of the clutch. Mine is OEM and was changed about 20k miles ago. Has done it since the clutch change at TGM.

dotty

Advanced Member
What is the mileage and do you have a shortshifter fitted?

For what it is worth Honda MTF3 fluid is very good.

firthy22

Advanced Member
54k miles and Tegiwa short shifter but don't think that's the problem as it was fine again once cooled down a little. See if it's any different after the gear oil change and maybe clutch adjusted.