Gearbox or clutch??

darrenk

Hi I have had a search on the forum but couldn't find the exact answer. I recently bought my dc5 and it drive really well. But where I live when I drive down my driveway which is a bit bumpy with the clutch up I can hear a knocking noise that sounds similar to a driveshaft going. But then when I do it with the clutch in there is no noise.

The car goes in gears fine and the biting point is ok and it isn't slipping.

Is this a sign that the clutch is quite worn or could it be gearbox. The only thing weird is the clutch is very soft and I came from a ep3 facelift type r which was a much more hevier clutch feel. I only hear it when I'm going slow and it's bumpy or I ease off.

Any help will be great. Many thanks.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
its more likely to be your suspension knocking over the bumps, it is very firm from the factory and can knock a little when its getting a bit older, the dc5 generally does not suffer from gearbox/clutch problems they are very tough, it could also be an engine mount, these are often broken, especially the front one, this allows a little more engine movement iver the bumps

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Have a look at your engine mounts, it sounds like they're past their best.

Search for "engine AND mount"

darrenk

Yeah I did think that as I had an engine mount go on my dc2 but the only reason I think it's gearbox or clutch is because if I go over the same bit of road with the clutch in the noise disappears!! Which ruled out suspension and driveshaft. I'll check the engine mounts though as when it went on my dc2 it would only do it now and then so that could be it.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
When you push on the clutch pedal you are removing the load which moves the engine. When under load the engine will "whip" more.

darrenk

Ok everyone thanks for the help. I've just finished work and checked the top one on the left and side and the one in the gearbox but I can't seem to see a third one. Would anyone be able to tell me where it is or even if there is 3 mounts? Many thanks

darrenk

Just jacked the car up and had a really good look and the mount is fine the only thing I did take of is that annoying heatshield that's for the driveshaft as it was rattling but don't no if that could have been it as it did have a lot of play in it. Thanks for all the help so far everyone. I'm going to do a service towards the end of the week and I'm going to do the gearbox oil just to be safe as well as the engine oil.

darrenk

i have done some research on the driveshaft heatshield rattle and a lot of people have removed it and the say it is fine without it other wise i wouldnt have taken it off.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the heatsheild will prevent the centre bearing from overheating and causing grease to melt and come out then the bearing fails, its best not to remove

darrenk

Ok well I have read into it and I no it's because the wire washers go on the heatshield and I'm pretty sure you can only get them when you buy a new heatshield so I might just order a new one. I didn't solve the problem but as I'm going to Honda to get some gearbox oil I'll try and get a new one. Does anyone no if they have to be wire washers or could I get some normal washers the same thickness? Still not sure where the noise is coming from.

I did notice a bit of dry gearbox oil on the gearbox so think the last owner didn't do to well changing the oil. If the gearbox oil is low would this cause a bit more noise and maybe a little bit of a clunk?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
i just hammered the edges of the washer down either side and it fixed the rattling, cheaper than a new heatshield!

darrenk

I'll try the hammer idea then and see if that works and when I service it I will sort it out then. I did read that someone used some sort of sleeve instead of the washers and that worked. Il check all the mounts again as well while the car is jacked up. I did have a look at all the suspension bushes and they seem fine and none of them have perished.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Including the front bush on the LCA? These are fairly open and being so big can cause unwanted movement...ie. wheel hop.

darrenk

Well I'm going to service my car on Thursday as long as my oil is delivered so I will go over the underneath and try and find where the fault is. Are there two engine mounts at the back, one at the front left and the one on the gearbox? Just didn't see a forth nut wasn't really looking for four.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
If there were two engine mounts on the rear of the engine I would have told you that there were 5 mounts :lol:

Front, rear, N/S, O/S.