Gearbox rebuild - Options

Kinli

Advanced Member
During the winter I will drop the gearbox to install a new clutch, synchros maybe a new flywheel, and maybe a new LSD.

At the moment 2nd gear is very hard to engage and crunches almost every time. Also every time the clutch is pressed / released there is a loud creeking noise coming from inside the gearbox (NOT the pedal as thats a basic issue too). This noise went from random to regular and it is very annoying and you can actually "feel" the noise thru the pedal. It is probably coming from the bearing or pressure plate.

I don't use the DC5 during the winter so I have plenty of time to do this.

Clutch - Carbonetics blade & pressure plate etc. This is the most interesting part as on paper it seems very good from all aspects and it is very light. But as it's a new product there isn't much talk about it. Anyone on here has it fitted?

Flywheel - This is still a maybe, depends on the deal I get, but it will most probably be a toda. I had a TODA on my EP3 (prefacelift) and it made a big different, but as the DC5 already has a lighter flywheel, the difference won't be that dramatic, hence the maybe. I know there are some random brands with and even lighter flywheel than the toda one, but TODAs quality is just so good that i'm willing to loose a couple of grams for the qualty.

LSD - Wavetrac. This is also a newish product, but the technology is very promising. Basically a torsen LSD with extra benefits of a clutch LSD. This is a maybe as I can't really make up my mind... :D I had a OEM open diff in my EP3 for 1 year, then got a OEM LSD and had that for 2 years and finally a quaife and used that until I sold the car (about 2 years). All of the diffs got some track time so I have a good picture of the difference between them. The wavetrac should be as good / aggressive as the quaife, but superior when one wheel is off the ground or has very little traction where the basic torsen fails.

Synchros - This is the most difficult one as there are a lot of options. Buying just a couple of synchros cost almost the same as a JDM DC5 gearbox. BUT how much is the FD2 gearbox and does anyone have the part number for it? The ratios are the same as the EP3 but the final drive from the CRV, so might be a good combo. Also, the 2nd gear syncros are apparently made of a different (more durable?) material. I believe the FD2 uses a different VSS sensor than the DC5, but this shouldn't be a problem as far as the ECU goes (=kpro), but how about the wiring?

Getting the complete JDM gearbox internals (assembled) is more expensive than the complete gearbox (this was the case last time (a long time ago) I checked).

blueguy

Resident J's whore
JDC5 got the Carbonetics clutch /flywheel combo off Dixon a while back. Might be worth pming him as well as Dixon.

Kinli

Advanced Member
blueguy said:
JDC5 got the Carbonetics clutch /flywheel combo off Dixon a while back. Might be worth pming him as well as Dixon.
For the sake of the community and spreading the information, PM isn't the best option..

LeeH

Advanced Member
I think he meant you may get a quicker answer via a direct PM :idea:

Nobody reads every thread on here......

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
I can chip in about the Wavetrac diff as i have one in my Teg.

Got it fitted about 2 months ago as my OEM diff had alot of play in the bearings and when it was taken apart they'd started to eat themselves :shock:

I've been impressed with the wavetrac so far, feels alot more progressive than the old diff and really seems to pull you out of the corners alot better.

I've not tracked my car with it fitted which is where im sure it'll really shine, the main difference you feel is when one wheel has less traction as it still really pulls you forward

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
got the blade in the s2000 it rocks.

what are you going to use the car for? if its track i can suggest some gears from different hondas to give a bit more oomph
different final drives etc.

Kinli

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
Why don't you go the full nine yards and get the gearbox built?
I don't really understand this comment?
I am indeed getting the gearbox built, the question is, what parts to throw inside the box.

Kinli

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?p=932502
Sorry should have been more clear, look at those gears :shock: !
If the car was a racing car (not even a trackday car) or a dragstrip car pushing 900whp then sure, dog box all day!

But the car is a daily driver so there is simply no point in going for a setup like that.

eXceed

Resident Driver
fair play mate, then if I was you i'd get in touch with these guys and tell them what you want.

haitch

Advanced Member
Not sure if MFactory are doing K series synchros yet? I recomend BCUK close ratio 5th & 6th gears.

Kinli

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
NOW we are talking the same language! ;)
I saw these a long time ago on k20a.org but couldn't find the link / thread so thanks!
These are very interesting as apart from the 2nd gear synchros, the gearbox is ok.

So you have these installed? which synchros did you get? how does it feel compared to the old one? how many miles done? what transmission oil are you using?

eXceed

Resident Driver
Yeah got these installed, at first I was told by the mechanic that they were exactly the same as std synchros but whereas they are coated in carbon these are full carbon as far as I understand. The difference is quite significant if i'm honest, I only got 3rd and 4th gear along with new gearsets and selector mesh but going from 2nd to 3rd is like going from a really sort of soft feeling gear engagement to a rock solid change into 3rd. Really takes abuse well as well, only problem is it's exaggerated the gearchanges (also ruined by stage 3 clutch) so that the gearbox mount does struggle to keep the gearbox still when going for it. Could probably do with uprating these mounts (think I'm going to go for solid mounts). Should help stop the movement which I feel is not good for the exhaust manifold jumping 2/3 inches each time I downshift hard. 4th to 5th is almost comical as the drop down in solidity is felt soo dramatically. Will be at some point uprating the whole gearbox as it's never been 100% since I picked it up but definitely gets my vote mate.

Kinli

Advanced Member
Thanks for the input. I will defo get these but not before the 1-2 carbon set is available.

I asked Synchrotech about the 1-2 carbon synchros (at the moment there is only a brass version available for 1-2).

Synchrotech said:
They are in production and I should have the first 100 sets in early November. I will post when I receive them. We are taking pre orders now