Gearbox still crunching even after synchros replaced?

Rob_94

Hi there- Since picking up my DC5 a few months ago, roughly every 1 in 5 times I change into second it crunches pretty bad. Last week I got my 1st and 2nd gear synchros/hub replaced and new clutch fitted at TGM to try and resolve this issue. Annoyingly it is still crunching.

What I don't get is most of the time the gear changes are smooth as anything, but every once in a while it crunches. It's not anything I'm doing/bad driving as I've had a couple of mates drive it and they experience the same thing.

So basically the gearbox should be good as new - what else could be causing this crunching? Worn linkages or something?

Really putting a downer on my DC5 ownership so would love to get it resolved..

Cheers,
Rob

antstarr

Hmm I am interested in this as well.... I'm having the same slight problem but only when I'm hitting vtec hard going from 2nd to 3rd gear and it doesn't always happen...

Need to do some more testing on my side as one of my mechanics did originally say it could be my syncros.

Just hoping maybe it's not down to my amateur granny shifting. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

BigCarlo

Could it be down to the gear selectors being damaged or the actual gears being slightly damaged. Or something easy like the oil being low I've seen that before

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Rob_94

Mark_teg said:
Give TGM a call, I'm sure they'd be happy to sort it :)
It may come to that but they're a fair old drive away so keeping my fingers crossed its something that I can fix myself/take to my local garage (probably wishful thinking)

BigCarlo said:
Could it be down to the gear selectors being damaged or the actual gears being slightly damaged. Or something easy like the oil being low I've seen that before

Yeah could be gear selectors I guess - I will do a search on here and see if people have had similar issues.. Don't think its the actual gears as Tom said the box was basically good as new after the work they did, and changed the oil as well

BigCarlo

More oil then might have been on an angle when it was up on the ramp

spooke

Advanced Member
Maybe worth looking into changing some parts on your shifter (presumably it's OEM). When I first got my car it'd crunch 1st to 2nd quite often when cold and sometimes even popped out of gear, fitted a K-Tuned Spring and Pivot ball which got rid of most of that - more recently I bought their Billet Shifter arm (includes the spring and pivot ball) and it's just so much better now not to mention more direct - 1st to 2nd still isn't as good as 2nd to 3rd for instance but I think I do need the synchro etc. changing.

Rob_94

Chris. said:
What oil is in it?
MTF-3

spooke said:
Maybe worth looking into changing some parts on your shifter (presumably it's OEM). When I first got my car it'd crunch 1st to 2nd quite often when cold and sometimes even popped out of gear, fitted a K-Tuned Spring and Pivot ball which got rid of most of that - more recently I bought their Billet Shifter arm (includes the spring and pivot ball) and it's just so much better now not to mention more direct - 1st to 2nd still isn't as good as 2nd to 3rd for instance but I think I do need the synchro etc. changing.
Ah ok interesting - I'd looked at them but was put off by the price.. maybe I need to get saving my pennies

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Its brand new mechanisms / gears and cogs etc inside, it will be "tight" but shouldn't crunch. After a year of having mine changed I noticed a bigger difference to when I first got it changed for example...Give it a few miles to bed together and then if you still aren't happy take it back. TGM did mine and many others and I haven't "crunched" gears in about 3 years now even from cold, its bliss. What you've had done should put an end to it entirely. Did you not road test it afterwards?

I reckon its purely just because its new and in need of some gear changes to get it working together slick. :)

Rob_94

Jimmer said:
Its brand new mechanisms / gears and cogs etc inside, it will be "tight" but shouldn't crunch. After a year of having mine changed I noticed a bigger difference to when I first got it changed for example...Give it a few miles to bed together and then if you still aren't happy take it back. TGM did mine and many others and I haven't "crunched" gears in about 3 years now even from cold, its bliss. What you've had done should put an end to it entirely. Did you not road test it afterwards?

I reckon its purely just because its new and in need of some gear changes to get it working together slick. :)
Yeah hopefully! that would certainly be the cheapest way forward lol

nails

Advanced Member
I know TGM are great (I use them for everything) but they could have made a mistake. I would give Tom a call and see what he says.

Rob_94

Just called Torque GT and told them it's still crunching - I feel bad they spent so much money and it didn't resolve the issue, but I guess at the end of the day I saved up for years to buy the car and really don't want to have to just put up with it.. they're going to call TGM and discuss options on Monday.. Why did Honda have to make these gearboxes from cheese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nails

Advanced Member
Rob_94 said:
Just called Torque GT and told them it's still crunching - I feel bad they spent so much money and it didn't resolve the issue, but I guess at the end of the day I saved up for years to buy the car and really don't want to have to just put up with it.. they're going to call TGM and discuss options on Monday.. Why did Honda have to make these gearboxes from cheese
So torque gt paid tgm to do the work as part of warranty? I have driven 3 dc5's. 2 of them crunched into 2nd. Luckily mine doesn't but it is a very common issue.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Rob_94 said:
Why did Honda have to make these gearboxes from cheese
Haha you've never had a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R have you :)

Hope you get it sorted mate but your dealing with two great companies so it will get resolved

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Great gearbox bud, certainly not cheese. Wear and tear takes its toll on anything though mate, as above I'm abit confused as to who has done what? lol either way they should sort it if your not happy, but as i said, it's going to take a few miles to bed in and become slick...its all been ripped apart and put back together with new.

Check slave cylinder and master cylinder for any significant defects etc...could be a simple thingnlike that rather than gearbox? Or the clutch not bled properly? What ever it is you really need to take it back to whoever has done the work mate. I know it may be a trek but if you're ot happy it will be the only way unfortunately.

Rob_94

nails said:
So torque gt paid tgm to do the work as part of warranty? I have driven 3 dc5's. 2 of them crunched into 2nd. Luckily mine doesn't but it is a very common issue.
Yup - and nothing but respect for both companies.. as you say a common issue, I was just unlucky enough to suffer with it.. weird mine wasn't fixed by the new synchros though. God knows what's wrong with it

Rob_94

carl hammond said:
Haha you've never had a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R have you :)

Hope you get it sorted mate but your dealing with two great companies so it will get resolved
Yeah, dealing with the best luckily!

Jimmer said:
Great gearbox bud, certainly not cheese. Wear and tear takes its toll on anything though mate, as above I'm abit confused as to who has done what? lol either way they should sort it if your not happy, but as i said, it's going to take a few miles to bed in and become slick...its all been ripped apart and put back together with new.

Check slave cylinder and master cylinder for any significant defects etc...could be a simple thingnlike that rather than gearbox? Or the clutch not bled properly? What ever it is you really need to take it back to whoever has done the work mate. I know it may be a trek but if you're ot happy it will be the only way unfortunately.
I guess, but compared to how reliable the rest of the car is they do seem to be a bit of a weak point. Torque GT paid for me to go to TGM as I'm nearer to them which was handy, although still long enough away to be a massive pain.. Yup I would just put up with it and try and ignore, but it's bad enough that other people comment on it so really want to get it sorted ideally

jrscho

Advanced Member
What ever happened to this issue you had? Curious to if you have it sorted now or not! Hopefully it is.

Tuneboy

Advanced Member
Did you try the trick with the clutch lever?

This is often caused by two things:
-Worn 2nd Gear - make sure they replaced that
-Worn Clutch - replaced
-Clutch not disengaging completely - here you can try to adjust the play at the clutch pedal so that you have no free-play at all. Some friends of mine did this with great results, in the US this trick us common also with great results.