Gearchange - centering springs

George K

Advanced Member
On the road I find the gearchange fine, but in the heat of the moment in competition I tend to go from 2nd to 5th more often than I would wish - driver error I admit. However I wonder whether slightly stiffer springs to bring the lever back into the centre (3rd & 4th) might help. Firstly where are these located, at the base of the lever or in the selector mechanism/bellcranks on the gearbox - are they easily accessible and if so are they coil springs, or the coil and finger type? Any help much appreciated.

ollie-dc5

Advanced Member
Believe they are in the gear selector inside the car, at the base of the lever. As for type of spring, can't remember of the top of my head. Think they are easily accessible though.

George K

Advanced Member
Haver spoken to the ever helpful David Johnson of Steels, who has kindly sent to me the relevant diagram - there is a total of four springs in the selector mechanism housing on top of the gearbox - total cost £7, so worth trying.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
ollie-dc5 said:
Believe they are in the gear selector inside the car, at the base of the lever. As for type of spring, can't remember of the top of my head. Think they are easily accessible though.
Just repaired mine at the weekend...there is one spring near the base of the gearlever,easily reached by removing the gearlever console..HTH

George K

Advanced Member
dc5-2ltr said:
ollie-dc5 said:
Just repaired mine at the weekend...there is one spring near the base of the gearlever,easily reached by removing the gearlever console..HTH

V helpful - many thanks - regards