Gentle cornering at speed

rob5180

Only had a DC5 for a few months so it may well be me....

I am loving the limited slip diff & round tight corners & roundabouts its awesome but..........take a fairly gentle corner like an on or off ramp for a motorway and when going through the corner (steering wheel about 10-20 degrees) if you put the power on (not much) then the car immediately tends to understeer compared to how you were previously taking the corner, take the power off and you get oversteer.

Its the opposite to what I expect & I then have to readjust the steering wheel to keep the line I was previously on. Then the car usually ends up feeling off balance all through the corner -

- its noticable when doing anything over 50 mph but only applies to gentle or long sweeping corners (Im sure its not negative road camber either) - is this just part of how the slip diff behaves or is something else wrong?

Thanks
Rob

dave c

400hp K20
mine loves anything fast corner wise, doesnt seem to come unstuck at all really.

get a fastroad setup and some eibachs and you'll be fine :D

The Mofo

Advanced Member
Check your tire pressures, on a car like the DC5 they have an influence on how well the front end performs. It may also be worthwhile getting your geo check as small changes can affect the way the car behaves.

logik

Advanced Member
I have heard other people before saying they thought the EP3 and DC5 under steer quite abit.

I myself dont experience this but i would start with you tyre pressure.

rob5180

Thanks guys - I'm on 32 psi all round (Eagle F1s) and had the geo done by Honda a while back already - it may be just the feeling the std suspension gives....TGM here I come :)

AndyBITR

Advanced Member
Sounds like a bit of good old lift-off oversteer you've got there. Basically where the weight shifts from the front of the car to the rear when you lift-off the power and provokes a bit of oversteer. :!:

The LSD works as Chris says……only when you apply power to the front wheels whilst cornering. It should feel more like the front of the car is trying to pull itself tighter into the corner, but only if you are on the power. Then depending on how you have your geometry set up the rear end might start getting a little bit oversteery. 8)

With it being a FWD car, you may get a wee bit of understeer before the nose of the car really tucks in. If your geometry is not set up quite right and tyres/pressures are not great then you will probably just understeer lots!!!