Getting a spare key???

Quincy

Hi guys, does anyone know the best way of sourcing a spare key? I asked a local locksmith & he advised he would need the code to cut one for me. The Honda garage kind of confused me, saying they can get me a blank key, then I need to get it cut, and they can code it then.... Usually I wouldn't be pushed on this issue only for, I got locked out of the car recently as the Clifford alarm auto locks the doors a minute after ignition is switched on. Thankfully my mechanic skilfully broke into it for me, no damage caused! And also is it easy to go about getting a second alarm fob??

a4m1r

Advanced Member
What clifford you got, you can maybe turn it off as I have this feature on my teg I got the clifford 650 mk II

mikey_t8

Advanced Member
Is your teg a prefacelift or facelift?

If its prefacelift, correct me if I'm wrong but I been told there isn't a factory immobilisor so you just simply get a blank key and get it cut, no coding requirer. My mate told me it cost around 15 from timpsons.

Facelift on the other hand has factory immobilisor so will have the trouble of getting it coded. And has remote control key like fn2 so would cost more too.

Quincy

Hi lads, its a 2002 year and the Clifford alarm is a concept 650 I think. There is no chip in the key, the locksmith checked that alright, but he said he still requires a code to cut it due to the type of key it is...

a4m1r

Advanced Member
Mine is a facelift and exactly what you have stated is correct. Preface does not come with factory alarm but I'm sure the key is coded. What clifford do you have i might be able to help you out and turn it off. I was in the same position car locked me out but I had a spare key..

a4m1r

Advanced Member
Quincy said:
Hi lads, its a 2002 year and the Clifford alarm is a concept 650 I think. There is no chip in the key, the locksmith checked that alright, but he said he still requires a code to cut it due to the type of key it is...
Since you have the same alarm as me do you know where your 2 button pad is one is star and one is blank..

Quincy

I've actually found the users manual for my Clifford, pin and all. This would obviously show the method to switch off the auto lock?

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I had a spare key cut for my preface Teg for £9.! Thimpsons in my local sainsburys haha.

The immobilisation is in the fob of your alarm... , not the key itself. Its just a strip of metal effectively, so cutting a new one should be a simple task for any?

Quincy

That's what I was thinking Jimmer. But the locksmith said he required the code to cut the key, now he said that to cut it without a code means he would have to guess it & to get that right wouldn't be worth the money as it could take 2 or 3 hrs of his time.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
As Jimmer said, any key cutting service will do. I ordered a blank from Honda just for OCD reasons and took it in to Timpsons. Works fine. There is no code on a pfl key. A code is held on a chip for which it has none. As said, any appropriately sized key would work. Perhaps this is what he means, key type/shape as opposed to anything else.

There's a pic of my spare key in my for sale thread in the cars for sale section. They can only get silver H logo as opposed to red like the original unfortunately but still looks ok I think.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
3 hours??? haha I would be going somewhere else buddy, I watched mine being cut. Took him 10-15 mins at most. Are you near to any Timpsons atall?? He seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill, probably all precautionary stuff on his behalf, I understand that but it really is no trouble for a preface lift Teg.

Quincy

I'm in Waterford, ireland. I tried other key cutting places and they told me the same as the original locksmith did. Someone had said to me some jap imports have like a serial no. / Id code within the drivers door handle, any truth in that? ( i never had this kind of bother before with getting a spare!hope I never loose the original ha)