getting old = getting rid of dc5?

wantadc5

Advanced Member
Getting old....

I must be getting old, as the wind noise, firm suspension with fast road setup and the rattles and shakes of the Dc5 is starting to get to me! I never thought I would say it, but lately I have been considering the E39 5 Series BMW a lot - ALOT...

I am 31....I do around 18,000 miles a year, and prior never had an issue with bombing it around in sporty cars....I've had a 2.2 prelude, 40k on the motorway in that, dc2 50k in that and never thought twice, EP3 25k in that...

I have had the Dc5 for only 5 months, and I loved it - the handling, the gruppe m, the power.........well it's the most power I've ever driven. But lately even in VTEC, it only gives me that momentary thrill.....maybe it's all the droning on the motorway on my way to work that getting to me.

I've given it a lot of thought, and I think my options are:

1. Sell the Dc5 and get a motorway barge. (Circa 6-7k)

2. Keep the DC5 and get a motorway barge. (Circa 5k) Most expensive option, and isn't a good financial decision.

3. Borrow the Mother In Laws Honda Accord for motorway driving during the week, and she can drive my DC5, and I drive the Dc5 in the weekend.

Can people suggest me some good motorway cruisers as well please. I really want cruise control for the motorway, a sign of my desperation is that I am even

considering diesels!

BenzDC5

Why do you need to spend 5k on a "motorway barge" by something like a TD Ford Focus for 2k.. not so much debt and you'll keep the miles and the fun factor in the DC5?

LeeH

Advanced Member
I'm 31 and wouldn't want to use mine every day. A stock one would be OK for me but that's it.

Weekend cars at our ripe old age :xlol:

LeeH

Advanced Member
Like Benz says, you don't have to spend a lot.

My 2nd car cost me £180 a year to insure, I save that on tyres alone.

£500 will get you a solid car.

TimB

Advanced Member
I am a little older than you +20 years :shock: I had the same issues and went for a late 5th gen prelude. It,s a nice car, 75,000 miles full Honda history, red top 200 bhp engine, and all the toys, including heated seats. I'm lovin it, only downside is 28mpg. Cost me £2.6k - bargain and every thing works.

wantadc5

Advanced Member
TimB said:
I am a little older than you +20 years :shock: I had the same issues and went for a late 5th gen prelude. It,s a nice car, 75,000 miles full Honda history, red top 200 bhp engine, and all the toys, including heated seats. I'm lovin it, only downside is 28mpg. Cost me £2.6k - bargain and every thing works.
hmm, that is an interesting suggestion....28mpg...well i am killing it with my dc5 with my lead foot...super unleaded is killing me....

as for the second car....i know I can get a cheaper car, but for some reason I want a prestige car... :lol:

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
I got a CRX as a daily drive, had it two years it the B16A2 vtec version, pretty quick and 35 mpg. The DC5 satys in the garage most of the week. unless the sun is shining and it might get a mid week trip to work.

SKING666

i must be doing it wrong!!!
we're selling our 2.4 accord type-s to get a teg as a daily runner
and were both 35 with 2 kids 9the nuclear family :xlol: )
at the mo the mrs uses the accord and gets 360 out of a tank going from chorley to warring ton every day.
the good thing with the accord is it cruises on the motorway but i can have fun on my day off. 8)

oh yeah (shameless pitch)
if you fancy an 05 accord type-s its £6100 ono :lol:

SKING666

wantadc5 said:
hmm... :-k

mileage, service history, colour? any piccies?
pm'd you
i run a 2.2 civic as my company car and return about 40 MPG BTW. :?
trouble is diesel are so powerful now the difference between petrol and diesel has really narrowed!

Rob84

Advanced Member
wantadc5 said:
Rob84 said:
I'd personally keep the dc5 and get something like this as your motorway hack http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1322995.htm

Cruise control, good miles, diesel (so good on fuel obviously), practical and should be good for another 100k if serviced regularly :D
thats looked interesting, but the fact that he had to spend £900 this years would worry me a little....
that could be a set of tyres, maybe the remap and maybe brakes? Wouldnt take long to spend £900 if things like brakes and tyres were fitted at the VW dealer

celox performance

Advanced Member
That's exactly why I sold my DC5, because i'm getting old (approaching 40 :roll: ) :lol: and it was too hard to use everyday and wasn't the best motorway cruiser. An M3 is a terrific motorway cruiser and 70mph feels like 40mph. 50mph feels like 30mph if you know what I mean and they're quiet inside and have far softer suspension than the Teg.

jay82

Advanced Member
i'm thinking off doing the same thing and i'm 27 :lol:
just waiting for better weather to get a shed for her when she isn't been driven.

George K

Advanced Member
I don't use mine as a daily driver (and am of more mature years than any of you lucky youngsters!) as I need something more practical, and also tend to save it for motorsport- but occasionally take it on long journeys, and with standard inlet/exhaust, noise levels are not at all an issue. When buying, the ones that I tried with after market exhausts were so much noisier. Having changed the suspension, the ride is no longer a problem - think it is mainly the rear dampers - albeit for other reasons I went for coil overs with bespoke settings.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Got old. 66yrs. Wifes a lot younger than me. :xkiss:

Our DC5 , blue with black interior, is on a ship on its way to Newcastle. Ive pics of it from the importer and I look at them every night.

We curently have UK DC2, red with black interior. After every drive theres a smile on my face. Im hoping the DC5 is going to do the same.

I suppose its down to what you expect from a particular type of motor car. It would seem from what Ive read that the DC5 is ever so slightly more refined than the DC2. At the end of the day its designed to get you from A to B safely. If you end up with a smile on your face, thats a bonus. Try and keep your chin up and stay loyal. Allen.

wantadc5

Advanced Member
well, yesterday after buying 4 new tyres....i feel better about the car.

I think I will keep hold of it...til april - may....and then look to change to something else then...

M3 is quite tempting!!

firthy22

Advanced Member
I smiled to myself when I read this, I'm 56 and have just bought a DC5 because my place of work has moved and I now have a 20 min ride to work so wanted something not too heavy on fuel but fun to drive, DC5 fits this perfectly.

But I do live in the Isle of Man and drive over the mountain road 4 days per week, which is part of the TT course and has no speed limit, IMO you are never too old for cars like the DC5.