Getting the right shade of B507P Blue?

TyperItr

Advanced Member
I know people will say bring the car into your local repair shop and get them to match the paint colour, I have tried this and it didn't work. On a really sunny day with the light directly on the car you can see quite a large shade difference between the new paint and the OEM paint. I can not stand this difference so willing to spend the cash AGAIN to get it right!!!! Only thing is when paying twice you would want to get it right the second time!!

SO I have been online to see what I can find out about the paint code. There is a company called Sherwin Willians where you can search paint codes on their site to get the correct formula for mixing the paint. There is even a downloadable app for matching paint.

http://www.sherwineu.com/Color/ColorTools/NEWColorAccess5/tabid/254/language/en-US/Default.aspx

I searched the Honda-Tec forum and found that PPG and Sherwin Williams supply OEM paint to manufactures, so the chances are it would be a very good match.

NOW when I search the B507P code on Sherwin Williams formula retriever

http://www.sherwineu.com/Color/FormulaRetrieval/tabid/60/language/en-US/Default.aspx (fill in the colour search form)

It returns 5 different formulas for B507P. How would we know which is the right one? AND would these formulas be specific to paint supplied by Sherwin Williams?

I would think that the spray shop would have the same problems when matching the paint, They would not know what shade to use as it is not a domestic UK car. But they may not be as picky as us and just grab whatever one they want.

Mike_DC5

Advanced Member
Where is the new paint? plastic or metal? on all cars, the metal will absorb paint different to the plastic, if we all shine a light on our bumpers and compare it to the metal body it will look different, it cannot be helped and is highly noticible only in intense light like the sun...

If however, your colour is match is on the same panel, they should have matched it....

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Clearing up the stone chips on the front wings so its on metal so not a good job really, that's why I need to get it done again its on metal.

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
Hi mate.
I work at TGM in the body shop.
All of the Honda paints are a total pain in the arse to colour match.
The Max Mayer paint is the one we find mainly matches the closest. They do 2 shades of this blue.
When we paint anything at work we 8 times out of 10 paint the wings/ quarter panels to get he colour to match, out of the gun, the Champ white and the blue are the worst colours other than the ep3 cosmic grey which is the worst as they do 5 different shades!!

So if you want a panel painted then the only way to get it to match is to blow it into the other bodywork.

James.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
As above, blending is the BEST way to match it all in, otherwise you will notice the difference at the panel edges.

Josh16v

Advanced Member
I'm a painter and to be honest, I rarely look at shade. I must paint between 20-30 cars a week on average, and I get the chips out for maybe less than 5!
Reason being, I blend everything! Even blacks, which match usually good enough for 90% of customers never to tell the difference.
In your case I'd be painting the wing, and taking the colour into the door. Maybe even the bumper corner too as the DC5s is an easy shape to fade out on.

It doesn't matter what company you buy the paint from. It doesn't matter if they're the ones that supplied Honda etc in the first place.
Aftermarket paint will NEVER 100% match OEM. Sure some edge to edge paint jobs may look fine, but under reeeeeal close inspection it's never perfect. There are way too many variables when it comes to a human mixing and applying the colour.

Any good bodyshop will be blending first time. Paint it right, paint it once! We don't like come backs! haha

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Thanks for the advice, on the next sunny day I will take a picture of the wing. I am glad they didn't blend it to be honest as its so much off it would be a worse job trying to correct it again. Will have to find a paint shop that can make good match in the first place for it to be worth blending in to make it unnoticeable

Josh16v

Advanced Member
You'd be surprised how well bad colours can blend. As long as the painter didn't use a tinter that wasn't in the formula, it probably would have blended.
It's when people play around with the formula that colours start to look different under different light sources. It causes "metamerism"

Could possibly what's happened in your case, the painter has been lazy and tried to go edge to edge, mixed a little bit of something in the colour to make it passable in normal light, but then it looks totally different in direct sunlight.

SimonJames

Advanced Member
I re painted my bumpers a few months ago, its not a good match though so to rectify this I've got the car booked in for a full job its got to match then

TyperItr

Advanced Member

You can kind of see the difference in these pictures, but just imagine standing there the difference is quite large

wj51fut

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:

You can kind of see the difference in these pictures, but just imagine standing there the difference is quite large
That's a big difference. Surely the paint shop saw that?!

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Yeah tis a bit dark that wing. Would easily blend into the door though, nice big panel to work with.

Ps... Carbon window trim?? More pics needed!