Going for a blast - how do you drive your car on the road?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Maybe age is catching up with me, but recently I seem to have little to no interest in driving my car hard on the road. I'll max out the revs now and again and launch it into a roundabout for giggles, but down typical country roads I'm genuinely terrified of a few things:

- crashing
- being caught speeding
- hitting a cyclist/animal/pedestrian
- what's around the corner

I also find that there's simply far too much traffic on the road to really stretch the legs of the car. It's another reason I got rid of the Evo; I found myself doing 7+ car overtakes and entering a corners silly speeds. Now I'm not bragging here, it's just the nature of the Evo and how fast it covers ground. It got to the point that I thought 'what if there's x/y/z' waiting there. It scared me a little. I know a lot of this is down to self control, I admit.

I'm not sure if anyone knows, but many years ago there was a lad called 10 pence short, he was on CTRO and bought himself a DC2. He was out on a spirited drive and lost control and hit a motorcyclist. The motorcyclist ended up with life changing injuries. He did a custodial sentence and put a blog up on Pistonheads. It was very sobering reading.

I know it's possible to have fun on the roads in a safe manor, but I do wonder what people mean on forums when they say going for a blast? Do you really push your car, or are you driving it at 7 tenths?

It's a reason why I'm so into track days now, as it offers me that adrenaline rush with fewer potential issues (wallet hurts aside) than pushing a car such as the DC5 on the road.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
I agree. I find it very hard to find an opportunity to go for a proper drive as there's always too much traffic or I just have no idea what's around the corner (cars, pedestrians, police etc). I find the more I try and go for a spirited drive the more agitated I get as I can't put my foot down as I set out to do. I don't really drive my car daily like I used to, but before I would only really floor it when I saw a clear stretch on the motorway on the way home.

I drive like an old lady on country roads A. I don't want to crash into oncoming traffic B. misjudge the corner C. scared of damaging my wheels and alignment on pot holes.

And as you've said above, this has naturally led to me doing track days as you can't use your cars full potential on the road, so what's the point in having a performance car if you can't use it properly :xhuh:

However, a few years back I would literally drive like a looney. I would floor it regardless. I'm glad I've matured... sort of lol :p

George657

Advanced Member
I'll be completely honest.

Vary rarely do I stretch the legs on the car, but when I do, I do.
Some people have money to do track days etc. I unfortunately don't, so I spend my time on a country road / motorway what I deam the right sort of time and with the least amount of traffic.

Most people will probably slate me and abuse me for committing such a thing on a public road but it's just point blank the truth. I can't afford to pay for my car to be hammered and thrashed around a track so I do it in my own leisure when I feel I can and without putting others in danger. It's mainly during the summer months when your out with the lads for a 'hack' as we call it.

I understand wheee your coming from though, there will come a time where I feel I no longer need/want to do it, or maybe I'll come into some money and be able to do a track day.

ChrisJDMDC5

Advanced Member
Since getting my car in July I've covered just under 3k I think and I have gave the car a good seeing to :xaiweb5:

Late nights tend to solve the traffic issue, don't like motorways prefer local roads around my way.

Don't intend on having the car to thrash on the road though I will be aiming to get on track throughout next year and the car is currently locked up for winter so no driving in any debatable conditions.

There is stretching a cars legs and then there is outright dangerous driving though

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Pushing 40, I have to admit that half of the time I VTEC these days its to make sure its still working or to just clear it out. Sounds so wrong now I have typed it out..

I would love to do track days but that cash can go towards maintenance or repairs. Certainly until the car is exactly where i want it, after that its much more likely it will see a track. I would love to take a DC5 out and thrash it round a track now, just not mine .. :)

I still like to go out for a blast but I don't really need VTEC in the small and twisty roads that are my playgrounds. Mostly I am using my car for work and just enjoy being behind the wheel. Enjoy even more coming out and just looking at it before I get in and drive, sad as that sounds.

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
mine is driven like a diesel 99% of the time and the other 1% it's at 8 tenths

On the road I always like to make sure I have a little talent left in reserve just in case 😂

At the end of the day I've seen far too many accidents by friends who think they are Colin McRae to be making the same mistake

Also have a friend who was having a hoon with a ep3 (friend in a Astra vxr Nurburgring) went their separate ways ep3 driver went on to crash killing a woman when the police looked through his phone found video of them with the Astra and charged my mate with causing death by dangerous driving even though he was nowhere near at the time of the crash

Scary

Altecians

Advanced Member
Just to be careful of forum rules regarding speeds on public roads and such, let's not go into any incriminating top speeds or acts.

I exclusively push my car on track and maybe I give the throttle a poke off the lights or spiritedly in the corner. Thats it.

Jvzr

Advanced Member
Id drive mine very handy an awful amount of the time.
I stick to speed limits for fear of points or getting the car known, causing hassle in the long term.

rarely if ever drive it bery hard on back roads, Between stone chips, Bikers/Pedistrians/Animals im always afraid of whats around the corner.

If i get a big open straight with no one around i might drop it back a few gears.

Saturday for the first time in a long time i put petrol in and drove it hard, Launching etc just for the sheer fun of it and lack of plans.
passed a small bit of time and improved my launching lol

Mebz

Advanced Member
I'm known as captain slow in my group of friends and they drive barges and do no track days.

One of the beauties of Honda ownership is how cheap track days can be. You can book somewhere like cadwell park for £100.00, put fuel in it and just drive it. It's a Honda, it will handle it, it will actually feel better afterwards. I would recommend it to all.

George657

Advanced Member
Mebz said:
I'm known as captain slow in my group of friends and they drive barges and do no track days.

One of the beauties of Honda ownership is how cheap track days can be. You can book somewhere like cadwell park for £100.00, put fuel in it and just drive it. It's a Honda, it will handle it, it will actually feel better afterwards. I would recommend it to all.
I have to disagree with you unfortunately. Some cars are very heavily modified, and have a high risk of something failing. Caldwell park is a 8 hour round trip for me, so if something did go wrong, it wouldn't be a good day.

Mebz

Advanced Member
George657 said:
I have to disagree with you unfortunately. Some cars are very heavily modified, and have a high risk of something failing. Caldwell park is a 8 hour round trip for me, so if something did go wrong, it wouldn't be a good day.
Fair enough.

Cadwell was just one example.

Reggie91

Advanced Member
George657 said:
I don't think he literally meant go Cadwell. It was an example lol. You can book many track days for 100-200 quid. Bedford autodrome can be booked for as little as £99 for an open pitlane for the day.

A well maintened Honda with bolt on's will lap up the track. If you've got a turbo'd dc5 then you might have issues.

nsxer

Advanced Member
track days are fun ... and you dont need to go all the time ... i barely do 2-3 a year if lucky ... this year i done one
they can be expensive pending on the circuit and how they are set up to your car ... but most of the time its just good prep and change of oil afterwards.
also very much depends on your own mechanical sympathy.
thing i noticed with the dc5 is that she is very accommodating on track
being on track does not mean abuse and as pointed out here its great to unleash the beast!

i'm 43 now and don't tend to drive like i stole my dc5 but i do push on ... the car sort of makes you!!
i take my advanced driving acreditation very seriously along with my clean licence. never had penalty points in my life
there is a time and a place for a good hoon.

the dc5 is a great a and be road blaster i find but as you guys say above you cant help but think whats round the next corner so always be mindful

i just dont think you could have the mentality to rag the dc5 every day ... it takes a certain mindset and focus to get the best from it

adam.

Advanced Member
I barely go above 4/10ths on the road, it's just not worth it.

That being said, that's still enough to shit some passengers up.

The more track time I have, the calmer I seem to be on the road. Which is fine by me.

ekchris139

Advanced Member
I leave my hard driving for the track.

I try do about 3-4 a year in my dc5 which keeps me grounded to drive normally on the public roads.

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
I became a father last year and my view and opinion has dramatically changed... a lot of people think they are phenomenal drivers when in reality they are not...I have never claimed to be one however I do like to blow the cobwebs off when safe, however like you said, I always worry about the what ifs and what's around the corner. 3 points on my license could lead to me having difficulties with my line of work. I enjoy all aspects of owning a nice "powerful" car, but my favourite aspect is maintaining it and sourcing hard to find parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk