Going for a blast - how do you drive your car on the road?

mikeyw85

I'm kind of spoiled with some fairy decent roads around where I live. My commute is part of the Whitby to Pickering road that Mr Clarkson bangs on about being fantastic. Anyway, I usually just pick and choose my moments. If it's completely safe, traffic's clear and i'm at a fun section of road I might go for it.

moodyedge

Advanced Member
mikeyw85 said:
I'm kind of spoiled with some fairy decent roads around where I live. My commute is part of the Whitby to Pickering road that Mr Clarkson bangs on about being fantastic. Anyway, I usually just pick and choose my moments. If it's completely safe, traffic's clear and i'm at a fun section of road I might go for it.
Do you know Ronnie Pickering?

Filkmeister

I am so pleased to read these posts amongst DC5 owners. The public road is for going safely from A to B, that's it...

A DC5 is a seriously quick motor, no doubt about it and the only place to stretch it's legs is on a track day, or even at a sprint/hill climb in road-going class.

I often wonder if us owners truly appreciate just how potent they really are? When Honda say Type R they're not kidding....

IMHO there are three main reasons for having such a car: driving quality, overtaking ability and practicality (you have to live with the thing!) None of these aspects are really to do with speed.

I seem to recall that one James Hunt often said that he preferred thrashing around in his A35 because it was great fun to drive. If driving is not fun, then it is just travelling - for me the DC5 makes every trip, whatever the reason, a special one because it is so involving to drive, no need for high speeds.

jrscho

Advanced Member
I do push my car now and then but not to the point where I'm driving like an idiot! I do motorway driving mainly so it's just Abit of Vtec on the straights when joining motorway etc. Believe it or not, I've had my car 3 and a half years now and I've only ever hit the limiter 3 times! Rarely have to push the car above 8k rpm as with the charger it's fantastic power all through the Rev range so I never need to push it so hard. Out of me and afew of my mates, who have fn2 ep3 350z etc, tho I have the most powerful car it's me who is the most sensible haha just scared I'll do something stupid!

Although my cars now perfectly built for track I don't even track either! Just love the track feel/look haha. At the back of my mind all I can think about is crashing and breaking some expensive part, can't afford to crash my car so I'm very careful.. Only push it knowing I can..

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
I'm pretty much the same. A TO B wagon 99% of the time and the odd childish moment educating boy racers in corsas at traffic lights and many full throttle blasts through 2nd and 3rd down the slip road entry.

After some track time though I think you become more aware that you simply can't push a Dc5 to its potential on a road, or if you can you shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

Cjhdc5

Johngreen537 said:
I'm pretty much the same. A TO B wagon 99% of the time and the odd childish moment educating boy racers in corsas at traffic lights and many full throttle blasts through 2nd and 3rd down the slip road entry.

After some track time though I think you become more aware that you simply can't push a Dc5 to its potential on a road, or if you can you shouldn't be on the road in the first place.
This pretty much sums me up to.

Sometimes I feel the best drives are the unexpected ones.

Going to drive down to camber sands through Rye sat as there is some decent roads there. But again will always try to leave room for error

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl hammond

Advanced Member
I only recently bought my DC5 as I missed the feel of my DC2 and the fact it could be used as and when and as a normal car or a fun toy. Prior to buying the DC2 I had a number of cars

A few listed below
Lancia Integrale (Built for track only and was bought from me by a guy who used it as a hill climb race car at goodwood)
Silver Skyline R33 GTR V-Spec (Stage 1)
Pulsar GTI-R (325bhp)
Pulsar GTI-R (400whp)
GT4 ST185 (Stage 1)
GT4 ST205 (Stage 1)
Evo 6 GSR (Stock)

Then I bought the DC2, this opened my eyes to a lot things and really changed my mind on cars and how good they can be without a turbo (as all of my performance cars from when I was 17 have been turbo's).

I had the DC2 circa 5 years and imported it myself after a 3yr search for the right one, 1 owner in Japan from new, FHSH and a 96 Spec completely stock with only 32000KM's on the clock. I sold the car if I remember correctly on 52000km's and it was mint, the guy who brought it off of me wrote it off in 6 days from list off oversteer :-(

I then bought a Purple Skyline R33 GTR V-Spec Nur Spec 2 (562whp on low boost) and just shy of 800 on high boost, this car was imported by Newera imports and was built in japan using an R34 GTR Nur spec 2 custom engine then was clocked as 212mph and used as a drag car. It was nice, fast but derivable on our roads and I only had it a few months, sold it and it also was written off quickly.

After this I got a few cheap run abouts and could never decide on a new car, I then got an MG ZR on 62K 2 owners from new (a mum and her son) and kept it for 5 years and got it to 138.9K before selling). This is sold as I finally found the DC5, I chose the DC5 as it can be a normal car and a toy and it a more comfy newer version of the DC2 (which I was struggling to find one I could be happy with after mine).

The DC5 is nor driven daily (mainly once a week and is project for getting mint as I have many other cars, I have since buying it only hit vtec circa 5 times and then not through driving hard, I like to toodle about in mine and enjoy the feel and look of the car, my partner always questions why I bought it as I apparently drive like an old g1t and a t4rt but I am happy doing so.

The roads now days imo are no place for driving hard or on the limit, too dangerous, too many things to consider and I am 36 with a child and don't want to ruin mine or anyone elses lives through stupidity. Next year I intend to do a few track sessions in the DC5 (mainly at brands as its around the corner form me) but again will decide the future of the car as I do it.

I think the DC5 is a pretty much perfect all round cheap and reliable car that is good for everyday use and those also wanting to do the odd track day.

ijlh

Advanced Member
I just use mine for going to work and back 20 miles a day, mostly traffic and a couple of motorway slip roads and one nice big sweepy corner

It just isn't practical to drive like a loony on the roads all the time. I love driving and I love my car, so to do something meaningless and stupid and get caught speeding, losing my licence or whatever just isn't worth it. It's what I spend my weekends doing, it's what I spend my money on, and it's what I annoy the Mrs with haha. If all of that were to go for 10 seconds of stupidity I would be kicking myself for years to come.

And with the rising price of petrol it sometimes just isn't affordable to go for a hoon, as we know what these cars are like higher up in the revs, they've got a drinking problem! That money could go on parts, upgraded or new cleaning products to make them extra shiny!

Don't get me wrong, putting the odd corsa in its place happens when it needs to, but all within sensible perimeters haha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk