Going for a respray

Future

Advanced Member
Hi Guys,

I am waiting on JRM Coachworks in Edinburgh getting back to me with a few quotes on respraying my car. One is for keeping it CW and another for a colour change, which I was told wouldn't cost that much extra.

For the past 2 years or so I have loved the CR-Z in Horizon Turquoise Pearl, but I have no idea how this would look on a DC5.

What do you guys think? I know this is down to personal opinion and preferences, so some may like, some may not, or no one will like at all haha.

If there are any photoshop geniuses out there a Horizon Turquoise Pearl DC5 pic would be extremely well appreciated.

Cheers in advance for all comments and opinions, good or bad.

Regards, Chris

calum001

if you go for a non standard DC5 colour it could affect resale value, if your not bothered about that then get someone to do a quick photoshop to help you decide

Future

Advanced Member
Resale isn't too much of a problem, I've had the car 5 and a half years and will have it for the same again at least.

The guy I spoke to is pushing for a colour change as he said he loves doing one offs. He also said to stick with a Honda colour, I don't know why, I can only assume it's for ease of availability, if I ever need to get touch ups or whatever.

Cheers for the quick reply :)

calum001

personally i'm not a fan of the colour but it's your car in the end of the day so you only need to please one person :)

i quite like the silver/grey the RSX comes in which would be a bit different over here (pretty sure its just the RSX that you get in it but no idea what the colour is called)

Erm

Advanced Member
Its a cool colour, probably not what I'd choose if I was going for a full respray, but an improvement over CW :xgrin:

Future

Advanced Member
Phoenix Yellow, this always pops up in a respray thread haha, The colour is very nice, but a little bright for me.

Erm, that's just cheeky haha.

The only problem I can see with the Horizon Turquoise is the size of the Integra's rear quarter panels compared to the CR-Z, everything else is quite close in a size comparison, and the rear qurter panels on the DC5 is a big smooth, flat area, which may take away from the colour. (I hope I explained that well enough).

Lewis93

Advanced Member
Again down to personnel preference but I think hat would look really smart, defiantly something different!

What's the rough cost of having just the outer of a car resprayed? I need my front bumper, bonnet, rear bumper and will be having the mugen rep rear lip sprayed so thinking of just doing the whole car.

Future

Advanced Member
Lewis, i think a fresh full respray will be around the £2,000 mark, and a colour change will be a little more.

From pictures I have seen on this forum, (Coldfuse's car) their work is amazing. Hopefuly he can confirm this and tell us how his respray has aged, that would be helpful.

But the guys there are so helpful, I need a few other bits sorting and he was more than happy to do them, cleaning up the front lights, respraying the brake ducts black etc.

I'm still waiting on their email, refresh button being hit constantly haha.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi.

I personally like that CRZ blue.The pearl in it will enhance the shine. That picture does'nt do it justice. Just don't understand where the Turquoise colour fits in. And of course as many many DC5 enthusiasts will tell you blue is the fastest colour, whichever shade it comes in. LOL.

Regards.

Future

Advanced Member
To be honest, I'm not a fan of red cars, although a fresh milano red does look good, just not my cup of tea (and the wife really doesn't like red cars).

But it does make a change from the usual suggestions of grey/silver and the phoenix yellow, which is starting to grow on me, especially with the black bonnet/spoiler/wheels.

But the cr-z blue with a nice anthracite wheel colour might be just for me :)

Rom

Advanced Member
If your going colour change, id say do it properly.

Nothing worse than opening the bonnet or doors and having a completely different colour. But that pushes the price up a lot!

Ive colour changed before, its your car, so your the only one you have to please. CW is lovely, but something different could be nice. Even just a different white ? On my 205 i went from Alpine white, the standard GTI white, which is quite creamy. To Nissan QM1 white, which is whats on the skylines, a very brilliant white.
I took engine out, all glass, interior. But im a tech, so easy for me. They painted a bare rolling shell basically.

Future

Advanced Member
Cheers Rom.

The guy I spoke to said the doors, bumpers, rear quarter windows, bonnet and boot lid will come off as well as side repeaters. Basically anything that can come out will come out.

As for the colour change, he said that doing it with the engine in is possible, although they will just do it black. I don't know how far they would go with that, for example if the suspension pillars will be black or my chosen colour. I would love to have the storage space to strip most of the interior, but unfortunately, that is a no go. Once I get the quote i will question them further as to how far they go with things, if they take door cards off etc etc.

I will be more than happy with it as long as i don't see champ white poking out from a a piece of trim that may have flexed/shifted.

Rom

Advanced Member
Minimum should be door rubbers off, and sprayed to just inside the shuts. You shouldnt see white when doors open. Same for boot. Though usually they wouldnt do under boot carpet.

Ive seen a few bays painted with engine in, they can look ok. If they said they will do it black, they probably mean from wing shuts down to chassis legs will all be black. Its not uncommon for people to contrast engine bays. A lot of show cars do it.

Im just really anal about things. Its not for everyone. And not everyone has the ability or means to do it. A fresh paint job will look amazing. As long as your happy, thats all that matters. And if your keeping it long term, you dont have to worry about trying to sell it and explain why under bonnet is a different colour.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
very hard to find the right colour to suit the dc5 body lines. could never find a decent colour on forza motorsport on xbox lol just cant beat the oem colours

that colour could work well though.

Future

Advanced Member
Cheers Rom for your info again, most helpful.

I know what you mean Mike, that's what I tried to explain above. The rear quarters on the DC5 is a good bit bigger and smoother than the CR-Z.

Dare to be different!!

Showed the wife the colour when she came home from work, she liked the CR-Z northern lights purple pearl, I think that's the name, but I feel that colour would 'date' quite badly.