Going from Coilovers to oem shocks and lowering springs

cpoh

Advanced Member
Hi there,

For the last three years ive had Tein Type Flex coilovers (with the EDFC) on my DC5 with rear camber arms and fast road setup. The car has always handled like its on rails and been great to drive if at times very uncomfortable on poor surfaces (we have loads here in ireland). Anyway the back left shock is now leaking and knocking as a result after about 30k miles and ive been thinking of putting standard shocks with lowering springs on the car to make it more comfortable on my commute.

Will the changeover leave me underwhelmed after driving the car with good coilovers the last few years? Anybody out there care to share their differences between coilover and oem shocks/springs combos for road use only? Are they much softer and leave the car wallowing on corners? Are the eibach springs really softer AND better handling than the oem springs?

Im a little worried that the handling of the car will be much worsened without softening the ride much either. Any help or advice would be great!

leejw87

Spoon Whore
When I had my car imported 3 years back it had a brand new set of tein monoflex coilovers on it, I hated them they were so uncomfortable and noisy, they were good for handling and it changed direction like a fly, but as it was my daily and I couldn't put up with it.

So in the end I brought brand new OEM suspension from Honda and stuck with that for about a year, I really enjoyed how softer it made it compared to the teins, but then I wanted a change of wheels and needed to get rid of the arch gap so I went for Spoon Progressives and I think they are really good, not quite as good as handling compared to the teins but better than the oem springs.

I've yet to have a fast road setup done too which will make the car feel more responsive in the corners.

Woppywop

Advanced Member
Evening, well I've just done the same thing.. After only two weeks of owning my DC5 which came with coilovers I've changed back to standards.

Couldn't really put up with bumpiness of the ride, so much better on standards (obviousley) but I do intend on getting a spring set to bridge the gap made because of this.

Was looking Eibach pro which i know is pretty run of the mill sort of srings, people do say they work well but not sure yet.

I'll have to keep an eye on this, be interesting to see what others say :)

Stoo

Whining.....
I had OEM shocks and Eibachs on my previous DC5s and I am now going back to them from BC Coilovers as I just can't seem to set them up right to my liking.
The previous cars on eibachs handled a dream.

firthy22

Advanced Member
You won't be disappointed with oem shocks and Eibach springs. They are just as comfortable as eom springs but the car sits at the perfect height and handling is much improved, especially if you get fast road set up done.

I drive at up to speeds of 120mph and corner at 80+ and the car handles fine, obviously not as sharp at turning as coilovers but more than adequate for fast road driving. In fact, handling is actually better than coilovers on bumpy roads because they ride the bumps so much better.

Also consider getting ESMM's as I have found that the biggest improvement of anything I have had done, apart from a slight vibration through the car the steering is more positive, traction is improved when pulling off, you feel the bumps less through the steering wheel, gear shifts seem smoother and the car generally feels more solid and planted.

On my Prelude which I modified and used on trackdays I had Eibach's and adjustable Koni shocks and it was the best suspension I have ever had for comfort/performace, I just wish they made adjustable Koni shocks for the DC5, I'd buy them tomorrow.

IMO Eibach's, ESMM's and FRSU is the perfect balance for comfort and handling.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Cheers for the replies lads, some interesting comments. Its been so long since i drove a standard suspension DC5 ive forgotten how they feel compared to my own with coilovers! My mechanic reckons i wont see any difference once the car has been setup right once again, but im not so sure.

Is there much extra bodyroll with the eibachs and standard shocks over your average coilovers?

Are there any drawbacks to the eibachs? Ive heard stories about them clunking on full lock even after they have been fully seated.

firthy22

Advanced Member
Cheers for the replies lads, some interesting comments. Its been so long since i drove a standard suspension DC5 ive forgotten how they feel compared to my own with coilovers! My mechanic reckons i wont see any difference once the car has been setup right once again, but im not so sure.

Is there much extra bodyroll with the eibachs and standard shocks over your average coilovers?

Are there any drawbacks to the eibachs? Ive heard stories about them clunking on full lock even after they have been fully seated.
Not driven a DC5 with coilovers but my car with Eibach's has little body roll through fast corners and seems well planted but as I said you need ESMM's and FRSU to complement them. I have no problems with clunking or knocking and use my car as a daily driver over some, let's say, not so smooth roads :)

I did drive my son's FTO with full coilovers and the ride was horrendously harsh, even on the softest setting. I wouldn't consider coilovers unless it was for a trackday machine, they are just too harsh for most roads.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
When i fitted my Spoon Springs i got knocking and clunking on them when turning slowly at low speed, when i looked at them further you could see where the coils were rubbing on each other (metal to metal) so i removed them at work and fitted rubber collars to the springs at the top and bottom and where i could see the rubbing, now they are fine i get no knocking at all :)

darquinn2006

Advanced Member
After i fitted my lowering springs i got some knocking outta them for about a week and it totally wrecked my head,

Thankfully it stopped then and i havent heard any noises out of them since

I had some TRD coilovers on my old Altezza and to be honest the ride was unbearable on some of the roads we have over here mate

The springs i have on the Dc5 are very solid but liveable if you no what i mean

jreedy27

i no mines not a dc5 but i thought id give my input anyways!

when i 1st bought my ep3 i had it on oem shocks along with abp/eibach 30mm lowering springs along with abp's frsu!

with this combo the car handled great and wasn't overly harsh on bumpy b.roads!

i then changed to meister r coilover's along with abp's frsu yet again!

for track use with nice smooth tarmac the coilover's are perfec..........also there's hardly any body roll when the dampner settings were set to fully hard!

however for everyday use they were just to harsh/crashy on bumpy b.roads, not good when 90% of my driving is done on b.roads!

i had the meister r's on for about a year before i decided to take them off the car!

im now back on oem shocks and eibach springs/camber bolts and abp's frsu!

not as harsh as the coilies were but still nice and firmish.......... 8)

blueguy

Resident J's whore
It's not just the spring rates, it's the matching valving as well. Some aftermarket coilovers can be great for the road.

Take one of the old forum favourites - Eibach Pro Street S coilovers, they aren't crashy and ride bumps extremely well. I don't believe I've heard of anyone on this forum that have found these coilovers unsuitable for UK roads. Then if you go up another level you have Ohlins with their DFV (not the Jap specc'd ones!). I'm sure Si will be able to comment on how compliant they are.

Apologies for going a bit off topic, I'm not against oem shocks and aftermarket springs, they have proven to be a great (and definitely more cost effective) option. I just want to make sure some of the new members on the forum don't automatically think all coilovers for the DC5 are harsh for the road etc etc.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I find the Eibach Pro kit to be softer than OEM Springs in straight lines, however they are stiffer in bends! Love them, I wouldn't switch back to OEM.

OEM Springs are still good though, but not as good as the Eibachs IMO.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Cheers for the response fellas! I think the problem with most coilovers on the market is that the spring rates and shocks are rated for japanese roads which are perfectly surfaced for the most part. I genuinely didnt mind the ride from the Tein Flex too much except on the harshest roads but with the back shock leaking now would be the perfect time to go back to oem and combine with a set of decent lowering springs.

I think the main drawbacks of coilovers are:
- Slighly harsh on irish/uk roads (unless uk designed and manufuctured for use here)
- They have a finite life span. Mine lasted 30k before they needed refurbishment.

Whats the difference between the Eibach pro sport springs (black coloured) and the Eibach sportline range (red springs)?

cpoh

Advanced Member
I find the Eibach Pro kit to be softer than OEM Springs in straight lines, however they are stiffer in bends! Love them, I wouldn't switch back to OEM.

OEM Springs are still good though, but not as good as the Eibachs IMO.
when you say softer in a straight line, do you find much lift from the front of the car with the eibachs when accelerating hard from standstill?

firthy22

Advanced Member
when you say softer in a straight line, do you find much lift from the front of the car with the eibachs when accelerating hard from standstill?
Not there isn't much lift, especially if you have ESMM's fitted. Because they are progressive they are a fraction softer initially but when there is more load on them they stiffen up, hence the reason for better handling when cornering and springs are under pressure.

Don't know what the difference in springs is but I have the Eibach pro sport springs (black coloured) fitted.

firthy22

Advanced Member
i have the sportlines, they lower .6 inches more on the front and .8 on the back than pro kit
They'd be no good where I live with the height of the speed humps we have to drive over :) Some speed humps are like mini hump back bridges over here.

cpoh

Advanced Member
Not there isn't much lift, especially if you have ESMM's fitted. Because they are progressive they are a fraction softer initially but when there is more load on them they stiffen up, hence the reason for better handling when cornering and springs are under pressure.

Don't know what the difference in springs is but I have the Eibach pro sport springs (black coloured) fitted.
Only just bought fresh mounts for the drivers side and front a while back so couldnt afford to fork out again for ESMMs Firthy, at the time the coilovers were solid enough without adding more vibraitons with the mounts!

Its a strang one with the springs, nearly everyone on here seems to go with the pro kit (black) whereas there are loads of civic owners with the sportlines

@donkeykong, is the only difference between the two sets the height difference?