Good first track for the Teg

rick c

Advanced Member
I've been to a few trackdays but never in a Teg and I'd like to start getting used to the car in a reasonably safe environment

My nearest and favourite tracks (I'm in Sheffield) are Oulton and Cadwell but they're not really the best places to practice the effects of lift off oversteer for the first time :lol:

I hate airfield days but I appreciate with lots of run off they're probably quite a safe way to learn.

Where would you guys recommend? The nearer the better but I guess I don't mind travelling if necessary.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
go to oulton or cadwell, learn a proper circuit
INMO airfield days are a waste of money, the quality of the tarmac is generally poor so tyres don't last and stone chips are a problem, and there are too many cones to hit, having run off onto poorly kept grass is more hazardous than you can imaging,
If you are real;ly worried about falling off at a proper circuit, take some instruction and slow down while learning.

lift off oversteer, is not the fastest way round a circuit so don't worry about trying to master it,
you are much more likely to have an accident if it becomes part of your driving technique. :wink:

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
Donington park is pretty safe if you do have a moment, there are plenty of gravel traps to catch you. There was a quite a few DC5's when i was there in Sept and a couple of DC2's.

Cadwell park is not so safe, but a fantastic circuit, it is very narrow and there is no run off in the woodlands circuit. I get more of a buzz here.

Castle Combe is quite safe also, there are lots of run off apart from the last corner onto the start finish straight.

I found open pit days to be better, it is more relaxed, with sessioned track days it is more manic and there seems to be more accidents as these events.

rick c

Advanced Member
I didn't mean to sound like I've never been to Oulton or Cadwell, I've been to both, as well as a few trips to the Nurburgring.

I was just talking about a safe environment to really push the Teg and get to know it.

I particularly want to learn to brake deep into corners which I've been hesitant to do until now because I know it'll lighten the rear, but I really want to go for it and learn now I've finally got a decent driver's car.

Donington eh? That's really close to me and I've always wanted to go there. I imagine Silverstone would be quite good as well being the current GP circuit.

lee76

Advanced Member
Either Donnington or Silverstone.Donnington is ever so smooth with low curbs and is nice and flowing and the craners are awsome taken flat out

j30l

Advanced Member
i did my first track day on Donnington park. IMO really easy track but in the same sense a really good track too. Nice and wide, so room for error and good run offs.

Im a sheffield lad too :wink:

celox performance

Advanced Member
There's the Subaru test track at Blyton (Rally-Drive in Doncaster) which is less than 40 miles from you and it's only £45 for the day :D

They do test days there usually twice a month and they're really quiet with only 3-4 other cars there on the day :lol: . I've been there probably 15-20 times now over the last 3 years and it's a relaxed atmosphere, you don't even need to take your license with you!

Here's a clip of my DC5 going round there so you can make up your mind whether the track's right for you or not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc9OzRqAnq4

mikegsi

Staff member
crofts only roughly an hour from you, an excellent track imo, (bt biased though, its my local one and so far the only one ive done!!)

the track is flat, some nice bends and two main straights, good bit of technical cornering and some easier more forgiving bends!