Good wet weather tyre

kingston

Advanced Member
Can anyone recommend a good wet/winter weather tyre that offers great grip in all sorts of weather?

As for a few years, ive run around on semi-slicks/yokos in all weathers ive 'lost touch' with the road tyre world

kingston

Advanced Member
are the toyo's not track day tyres of sort just under the r888's or do you run them on yours?

and which F1's, the asym's or GDS3? im guessing the GDS3's as the patterns similar to the T1R... though the Asym's get better wet weather reviews... :xhelp:

blueguy

Resident J's whore
I haven't had experience with the T1Rs but I currently have R1Rs (between R888 and T1R) and they're nice on track for what they are, but are a bit skiddy on the road in the wet. By skiddy I don't mean they're dangerous on the road; just that you can tell they're not dedicated road tyres if that makes sense.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but I thought it'll add a bit more info on top of whoever comes back with the T1R info.

sinbad

Advanced Member
kingston said:
are the toyo's not track day tyres of sort just under the r888's or do you run them on yours?

No thats the R1R like Blueguy's running.

kingston

Advanced Member
Has anyone tried the Uniroyal Rain Sport 2's?

I know going by peoples reviews is hard as all cars a different and react differently under different wheel sizes etc but it does seem to be getting good reviews.

Now im just after a decent all weather (esp wet) tyre as if the sun comes out to play, i can revert back to the RE01R's, though i dont recommend the RE070's for dry or wet.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I've got Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric extra load 225/45/17 and they are great in the dry and wet. Have to push it within reason to get any understeer in the wet

kingston

Advanced Member
Luke - do you run these on the front in this size and have you lowered your car with a fast road set-up?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Yep, same size all round, lowered probably about 15-20mm and fast road setup. Haven't had any signs of rubbing, and the wheels I have are 7.5 x 17 with either 38 or 45 offset, I can't remember

donkeykong

Advanced Member
in tests the f1 eagle assy and hankook ventus v12 are the best choices!!
and then i'm talking bout what u get for the money i bought hankooks for 78 euro per piece

ed_itr

I've got the Toyo R1R's and not many ppl have had these but i thought i'd try them out. I'd give them 90% in the wet and their not too bad in the dry. But there's a video sayign their inbetween a T1R an R888s.

These in my opinion are recommendable. xthumbup

ed_itr

donkeykong said:
in tests the f1 eagle assy and hankook ventus v12 are the best choices!!
and then i'm talking bout what u get for the money i bought hankooks for 78 euro per piece
I agree too xthumbup

ed_itr

blueguy said:
I haven't had experience with the T1Rs but I currently have R1Rs (between R888 and T1R) and they're nice on track for what they are, but are a bit skiddy on the road in the wet. By skiddy I don't mean they're dangerous on the road; just that you can tell they're not dedicated road tyres if that makes sense.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but I thought it'll add a bit more info on top of whoever comes back with the T1R info.
Sorry i didnt read this part of the thread :roll:

kingston

Advanced Member
Thats alright bud, ended up going for the F1's asy's.

Not sure what i think of them at the mo as trying to break them in. what i do know is that there alot quieter than my RE01R's and im not as confident at cornering fast with them on :lol: However, theyve been gripp in the recent downpour which has filled me with some happiness knowing i may not aqua plane

blueguy

Resident J's whore
ed_itr said:
blueguy said:

Sorry i didnt read this part of the thread :roll:
Ed your review is very valid mate, I assume you have the Proxes R1Rs whereas I have the older JDM Trampio R1Rs, so there's a difference ;)

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Didn't really drive it hard in the wet, but was never keen on the Toyo T1R's to be fair, they felt squidgy whilst driving round corners etc.

I went on to Hankook ventus, never looked back, solid :D

Got a thread about them here

donkeykong

Advanced Member
yuo got the ventus too, most people dotn buy it cause they are so cheap...but they are the same as f1 asy

Hancock

Advanced Member
f1 assymetrics are a good choice imo, i've just ordered another set for the road, i will use them on track if it's really wet i.e standing water . Never going to be as grippy as a semi slick tyre in the dry or damp/wet but they last a lot longer and are really good in standing water where as semi slicks are terrible as i found out last week at donnington!

Another tyre which i thought might be good in wet weather would be the ad08 as they have quite a deep tread pattern.