goodbye DC5

BLUEDC5

everyone

On saturday i put my beloved dc5 backwards into a massive oak tree at around 70mph and she is well and truly dead.
Although the seats broke 3 of my right ribs, the car saved my life.
It didnt crumple up, and just ended up with a much shorter boot......24 inchs shorter..

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii94 ... o-0116.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii94 ... o-0118.jpg

The reason for the crash was that i had recently swapped the weds racing rims it arrived with for the original dc5 rims, and the camber was set up wrong for them. Also, i had 4 different make tyres and tread patterns on and it just slid in the wet and went into a flat spin which was unrecoverable. - DONT DO THIS! - although she was booked in for 4 toyo proxes on the monday....never mind.
Before anyone comments - this is my first crash since ive been driving (10 yrs) - so no sarcy comments eh! im ashamed enough as it is that i stacked it!

I am awaiting my insurance pay out at the moment, and was thinking to go for a 99 - t reg, white dc2 i have found at a local import garage.

Its £7450 (ill give them 7k) and has the d class black recaro interior, not the usual red one, a carbon bonnet, an intake and full s/s exhaust cat back and has 62k on the clock.
This seems about right for a late dc2 in good nick isnt it?

Should i get another dc5 or go for the dc2?
The dc2 performance parts seem a lot cheaper and have more options, its only about 20bhp less, (the 99 models apparantly have almost 200bhp)

What do you guys reckon?
I liked my dc5, but it felt a bit sanitised compared to my old b16 crx. It was quick, but kinda lacked something...(a back end now! haha)

Rich

:oops:

spo_gen

Advanced Member
:shock: Nasty. Bad luck bud.

Camber is not affected by change of alloys, it was the different tyres that was the difference.
Go for the JDM DC2.

sinbad

Advanced Member
i dont think you can compare a modified car with a standard car. My dc5 is soo much better to drive since i added the intake, exhaust and KPRO.

Both cars are great, you cant go wrong.

BLUEDC5

Hi

No, the camber and set up had been fiddled with in japan to compensate for the rims that it had on originally. they were weds bronze jobbies. I just didnt like them, since they were funny little split rim ones that looked like 15"s.

These had an offset of 40mm and were wide as hell on a 17".
When i swapped them to the original rims, the car was all over the place, and had 4 different make tyres and tread depths (all legal thank god)

I know the road i crashed on very well, since its at the back of my house. After going over a slight raise in the road, it just went back down and drifted across the street. Thank god there was no one else about, i couldn't live with myself, if i had hurt them.

Ill let you know where the salvage goes,since the engine was mint and had jut done 50k. The front wasnt damaged. Only bumper and lights torn off.

Rich

DC5TU

Advanced Member
what 'set up' had been altered for different rims?

was it on std suspension?

peterb

sorry to here about the car, lost my blue dc5 about this time last year same thing difrent front tyres to back tyres on a road i knew fairly well in my dc2 and civic type r, 1 bad reaction to a car crossing the line and came out a bend backwards via some greenary eventually ending in a ditch. takes a while for you pride to recover, doesnt help seeing bits on ebay for the next 6months, replaced mine with another dc5

BLUEDC5

DEAD DC5

After watching some videos of dc2's on rolling roads and on the track, i think im gonna go dc2....I miss that audible vtec step you get from b series engines...There always neck and neck with dc5s on the track...besides there cheaper insurance, which will now be a big factor!

Ive found a 99 jdm in white with black recaros with loads of carbon....Ill just slam it on coil overs,buy some 6 pot calipers and huge rims with sticky tyres and leave it alone, whilst driving everywhere at 20mph...........

I hate trees...

Thanks

Rich

Evs

Advanced Member
Re: DEAD DC5

BLUEDC5 said:
Ill just slam it on coil overs,buy some 6 pot calipers and huge rims with sticky tyres and leave it alone
I hope you're joking - that's a sure way to ruin a DC2 :cry:

Sorry about the DC5 btw :cry:

morgan

Advanced Member
Doh ! At least you walked away though...

Be interesting to see if the car does pop up again, pulled straight...

Metalhead

Ouch - That's gotta hurt! :shock:

Hope you're not injured and a replacement is found quickly!

Decklogic1

Advanced Member
:shock: Ouch - glad ur ok mate. What a fooker huh? Here's hoping you find yourself an nice sorted DC2 8)

Stevieg

Advanced Member
Sorry to hear about your car - least you were OK!

If you go for a DC2 (which is a good choice) certainly get a JDM 99 spec rather than the UK version. I've had a UK and been in a 99 and the differance was certainly noticable!

The '99 spec gets a stainless steel 4-1 manifold that performs well, Rear brace, HID lights, revised suspension, 16" alloys, a short turning circle (compared to the UK) and a few other bits. There is an RX version which was 2000 which had a few more bits (alloy pedals) but they are very rare.

In regards to tuning parts - it's still na so the parts are expensive for what you get and bear in mind you'll get less out power of the B series engine than the K20 engine in the DC5.

As Evs says do not ruin it's awesome setup by sticking bling bling 18" rims, ice etc in it - totally defeats the point of the car!!!