GoPro mount for track

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Yes I wanted to get one of them, I think Linus may use one?
I was speaking with him about this yesterday. He uses one that 'grips' onto the shoulder of the seat but it leaves a mark. However he used a bit of cloth to protect it and I suggested some thin rubber, like a small matt to see how that would work. What brand it is I don't know.

I don't mind paying $70 + postage and the tax if it's going to be decent and work! I just don't want to be the mug that tries it and it's a waste of money and then I can't sell it on.

spooke

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I was speaking with him about this yesterday. He uses one that 'grips' onto the shoulder of the seat but it leaves a mark. However he used a bit of cloth to protect it and I suggested some thin rubber, like a small matt to see how that would work. What brand it is I don't know.

I don't mind paying $70 + postage and the tax if it's going to be decent and work! I just don't want to be the mug that tries it and it's a waste of money and then I can't sell it on.
I think you can also buy it direct?

http://www.racermount.com/products/product.php?id_product=6

Worth a try, seems to be the best option out there.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
There's no UK drop down for postage, or if there is I'm being blind!

I know there is a company that you can use, what they do is give you a US address to put in, and they will ship it to you. But that just adds to the cost.

adam.

Advanced Member
My mate let me borrow his setup:

2 suction cups, 2 roll cage/bar mounts, a lightweight bit of ally bar.

Put between the two rear windows, it provided a great point of view.

Not cheap with 2 of everything, but doesn't put any wear on the seats.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
That sounds ideal, but some circuits won't allow suction cups unless tethered, which would be more expense/cocking about.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I might look at the internal light mount and see if I could bodge something off that. Could even bodge the power somehow although I don't know if you can put that 12V into the GoPro. I know you can off the ciggy lighter though...

gaza4

Advanced Member
$70 + postage and tax?!?! :xaiweb6:

you'd DIY yourself something very similar for MUCH cheaper!!!

adam.

Advanced Member
I've not been to a circuit that hasn't allowed the GoPro suction mount yet, think it's rated to 5G sustained.

If it comes loose, then a flying GoPro is the least of your worries.

Linus27

Advanced Member
My mount is a manfrodo camera mount and does an amazing job. Where I locate it is perfect but as Chis says, does leave a small indent in the seat shoulder where it clamps. I'm going to try some rubber next time as Inthink this will work better.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
$70 + postage and tax?!?! :xaiweb6:

you'd DIY yourself something very similar for MUCH cheaper!!!
Which is great if you have any DIY skills.

I've not been to a circuit that hasn't allowed the GoPro suction mount yet, think it's rated to 5G sustained.

I don't like the view where the GoPro is using a suction mount. I like to be able to see my hands and dash. With the kit I currently have the front screen is the only option for it.

adam.

Advanced Member
I put mine on the rear glass last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oHxa4otYE8

Wasn't too bad a view point, though it was shaky as balls.

Or, the pax window works 'ok'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8K_W8G2L_M

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I have a whiteline rear bar and gopro mount.
I'm bot a big fan of the bar, it doesn't allow using the rear seatbelts but I just use it for trackdays and it was cheap...

It does provide a good view though, and I got a cheapy skeleton case which allows plugging in a usb lead and having continuous power.

[Youtube]https://youtube.com/watch?v=803Xvlb2a8I[/youtube]

Indi

Advanced Member
I use one of the sticky 3M pads/mounts that come provided with the GoPro kit and have it stuck on the roof interior light casing, then I attach a few Go Pro extension sticks so that it hangs low enough to have a very clear view of the steering, whole dash, side mirrors and track ahead. Works very nicely and doesn't cost much.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Indi said:
I use one of the sticky 3M pads/mounts that come provided with the GoPro kit and have it stuck on the roof interior light casing, then I attach a few Go Pro extension sticks so that it hangs low enough to have a very clear view of the steering, whole dash, side mirrors and track ahead. Works very nicely and doesn't cost much.
How long does it stay on for and do you ever remove it? Any issues with it ever falling off or any comments by marshals at track days?

Indi

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
How long does it stay on for and do you ever remove it? Any issues with it ever falling off or any comments by marshals at track days?
I leave the Sticky pad on there and never take it off, only issue is the interior light obviously isn't very bright. Those sticky pads are so strong, I mean iv tried pulling on it and it seems like the light casing will break before the sticky pad comes off haha.
So far no issues from the marshals, I cant see it being a problem as it's securely mounted no way it will fall off if you use the original GoPro sticky pads as they are very strong.

This is the sticky pad mount I used to stick to the light, I chose to use the curved one as the casing is quite curved: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-technology/helmet-cameras/gopro-flat-curved-adhesive-mounts

Fez

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:

Cadwell and Pembrey didn't like mine.
Pembrey didn't allow the sticky pads attached to helmet either.