Grease on Rear Pad's Retainers Question

hamks18psi

Advanced Member
I have done enough preparation work before I change my brake pad so far (last brake pad I changed was in 12 years ago)

But after finishing the rear pads (still doing the front right now), I found I forgot to apply some lubricants/grease on the rear pad's retainers against the caliper mount brake (red region in photo), according to the RSX manual.

I don't see them as moving parts so I wonder anyone of you has ever changed their brake pad without applying lubricants on that parts, would it be ok without squeal?

gaza4

Advanced Member
i would usually put grease on the shims along where the pad slides in. the pads are a moving part albeit a tiny amount of movement.

i dont think grease is 100% necessary to the function on the brakes though but you might get some squealing from the brakes without it

Reggie91

Advanced Member
As above. I didn't use grease on my old ep and it squealed :( it gets annoying in traffic

tristanpalmer

Advanced Member
Would definitely get some copper grease on there.

Have found in the past it causes squeezing and uneven pad wear, especially if you're going on track with the heat cycles.
I always clean up the metal retainers with some 3000grit sandpaper first too just to get rid of any unwanted gunk.

Seems to do the trick and avoid any issues until the next pad change :)