Grinding noise/buckled noise

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
The last couple of weeks I've been getting a grinding noise coming from the front - similar sound to when you're down to the metal on a pad or when you have a worn disc.

Today though I drove off and the car felt like it feels on a push bike when you have a buckled wheel, coming from the front. Could feel it a bit through the steering wheel too. Any ideas?

In addition to this, it's started doing the same type of knocking noise that I had when my coilovers went on me, this happens when you turn on full lock or a sharp turn out of a junction. I have read that Eibach springs are prone to knocking as they jump out of place so I'm thinking this could be the case. I'm still looking at potentially two issues here.

Worth getting it checked as it's due it's MOT either next month or the following month?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ha ha no I haven't PM'd him! He's had a nightmare with his hasn't he.

I think I'm best just getting into the garage for them to look at, don't want it failing its MOT. It's probably a driveshaft or something I'd have thought.

Why would it be wheel nuts if I may ask?

Thanks.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Could be, I'll get it checked.

It does sound like a wheel bearing, that type of noise.

Dan34

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Why would it be wheel nuts if I may ask?
Because loose wheel nuts would give a weird feeling through the steering wheel like you're describing. It's literally the easiest thing in the world to check so you'd be a fool not too lol.

Ranja_Ash

Mine is making very similar noises and has done for a couple of months.

I've changed halfshaft (which was destroyed), Drivers side engine mount (which was also completely f***ed) and the drivers side driveshaft as well as put in a new clutch (but this was mainly due to crunching in gears at high revs) and I still I have a clicking sound when turning or initial take-off (which I think could be be spring unseating) and a funky grinding noise between 1500rpm and 4000rpm (above 4k the engine & exhaust drown out the noise).

I'm thinking it could possibly be wheel bearing (I get a droning noise on Mway) or something else...

But it still drives faultlessly so just put up with it, despite it being very annoying..

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Ranja_Ash said:
Mine is making very similar noises and has done for a couple of months.

I've changed halfshaft (which was destroyed), Drivers side engine mount (which was also completely f***ed) and the drivers side driveshaft as well as put in a new clutch (but this was mainly due to crunching in gears at high revs) and I still I have a clicking sound when turning or initial take-off (which I think could be be spring unseating) and a funky grinding noise between 1500rpm and 4000rpm (above 4k the engine & exhaust drown out the noise).

I'm thinking it could possibly be wheel bearing (I get a droning noise on Mway) or something else...

But it still drives faultlessly so just put up with it, despite it being very annoying..
What's happening with yours is pretty much exactly what's happening with mine.

I'll get the wheel bearing and wheel nuts checked first as they're basic stuff but pretty sure it's driveshaft related as well possibly brakes. Got a feeling I've annihilated my standard pads so will likely upgrade the pad whilst I'm at it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
Because loose wheel nuts would give a weird feeling through the steering wheel like you're describing. It's literally the easiest thing in the world to check so you'd be a fool not too lol.
Cheers mate.

They should be pretty tight as I had my tyres changed a few months back.

Rom

Advanced Member
Ok , just throwing things out here, not all will apply.

Non hubcentric wheel spacers can make car bob at low speed.

Bulge in tyre can give weird feelings at low speed.

You need to see inside face of discs. They can easily be corroded, grooved, scored etc, but outside look fine.

Backplate rubbing on disc.

Warped discs can be noticeable at low speed. Would need a DTI guage and do a disc run out.

Corrosion on hub face, when discs changed, if not cleaned can cause problems.

Hubs can go out of spec. Again, DTI guage and hub runout.

Wheels can buckle.

Pulling away on lock, clicking, is often cv joint.

Springs shouldnt really unseat easily. Not when they are under tension. The perch has a location lug normally that the spring should butt up against. If its slipping past this, id look at top mount. The bottom of spring shouldnt move, if it is, the top mount could be binding and turning the spring instead of just the topmount.
Unloaded, lowering springs can unseat, ive only had this on 1 car, my first car which had 60mm springs on!
(Im not a DC5 pro here, just general knowledge of cars)

Wheel bearings can make some different noises than a drone. But would usually be quite noticeable. To identify the side, swerve the car, smoothly, not jerk it side to side. As the weight transfers side to side, the knackered bearing will be louder / quieter load depending.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
If you've got after market wheels you may need spigot rings too, something to check

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Ok , just throwing things out here, not all will apply.

Non hubcentric wheel spacers can make car bob at low speed.

Bulge in tyre can give weird feelings at low speed.

You need to see inside face of discs. They can easily be corroded, grooved, scored etc, but outside look fine.

Backplate rubbing on disc.

Warped discs can be noticeable at low speed. Would need a DTI guage and do a disc run out.

Corrosion on hub face, when discs changed, if not cleaned can cause problems.

Hubs can go out of spec. Again, DTI guage and hub runout.

Wheels can buckle.

Pulling away on lock, clicking, is often cv joint.

Springs shouldnt really unseat easily. Not when they are under tension. The perch has a location lug normally that the spring should butt up against. If its slipping past this, id look at top mount. The bottom of spring shouldnt move, if it is, the top mount could be binding and turning the spring instead of just the topmount.
Unloaded, lowering springs can unseat, ive only had this on 1 car, my first car which had 60mm springs on!
(Im not a DC5 pro here, just general knowledge of cars)

Wheel bearings can make some different noises than a drone. But would usually be quite noticeable. To identify the side, swerve the car, smoothly, not jerk it side to side. As the weight transfers side to side, the knackered bearing will be louder / quieter load depending.
Cheers for this again dude.

It's going into a garage soon to get a thorough checking and I'll likely get him to do the MOT too as well.

I'll go and take it for a quick drive and do the swerve test see what happens.

Many thanks.

Marc

THE X

Crazylegs said:
Cheers mate.

They should be pretty tight as I had my tyres changed a few months back.
Wheel nuts should always be checked after a certain amount of mile if new tyres are fitted apparently. Worth a check in case some scum bag has had a fiddle.

I had my wheel bearing done recently, the noise would not change with engine speed/gears, just road speed.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers mate,

Do you know what, wouldn't surprise me if someone has tried having a pop at the wheels the turds.:(

Rom

Advanced Member
THE X said:
Wheel nuts should always be checked after a certain amount of mile if new tyres are fitted apparently. Worth a check in case some scum bag has had a fiddle.

I had my wheel bearing done recently, the noise would not change with engine speed/gears, just road speed.
50 miles is the usual quoted figure.

I rarely recheck, i think its more to cover their ass. If its new studs, nuts, bolts, wheels i check.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Just had a message off one the mechanics as it's gone in for a check up and an MOT.

Passed with no advisories!! Lots of meat still left on the pads and disc too, well pleased! :)

Wonder what that knocking noise is, strange.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey chappies, the knocking noise is back with a vengeance.

Mainly occurs when turning into a parking spot, driveway or reversing out of somewhere on full lock to the left.

Driveshaft do you reckon? If so how much am I looking at for a new one?

Rob R

Advanced Member
Haven't read the whole thread, but top mounts? Fooked ARB bushes or drop links?