Grinding noise, front near side

Zani

Advanced Member
Hi guys, aiming to look at it this weekend but would like some feed back if any one has previously encountered this problem.

I have a rotating grinding noise coming from what I think is the front nearside area... cant say if its from the wheel itself or possibly where the drive shaft meets the gear box, just that its definitely from the front left..

- rotating grinding noise
- coming from inner cv joint/gearbox area (took brekes off and jacked up rolling in gear)
- inconsistent, in that it gets louder on one part of each rotation
- does not drone like a wheel bearing
- sounds fairly loud from 30mph on wards.
- goes quiet when i turn left
- gets worse when i turn right
- does not sound like a typical "clicking" noise of a cv joint, but much worse
- does NOT go away when clutch is down or in neutral
- when the car is jacked up, and i spin the wheel i cant hear anything
- CV boot and both clips are there with no mess
- all gears engage fine

Any ideas?

Appreciate any comments!

Zani

Advanced Member
Nope, the pads are only 6 months old, and the noise doesn't get worse/better when I brake or not. But I will take them out over the weekend to be sure.

shane_blueteg

Advanced Member
worth a look as the exact same problem happened to my dads quasqai last month and it turned out to be the pads.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I had this drivers side and it was my driveshaft. They are less likely to on the passenger side from what I hear but if you can feel looseness during hard acceleration my guess would be that. In my situation it was the inboard joint near gearbox and it was totally screwed. Had terrible grinding and knocking noises and always felt worse on left hand corners. If its that though you'll normally feel some looseness through the wheel. You could also jack the offending side and wobble wheel left to right and have a good look around. Nothing obvious stood out in my case but we still knew it was the driveshaft just due to the way the steering felt. Let us know when you find the fault mate

Zani

Advanced Member
Thanks for the advice, I'll take the pads out and check for stones behind the disc/back plate, I have a feeling it's the drive shaft but hope it's not! Will let you all know!

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Check the backplate.. Driveshaft will usually give a clicking sound when accelerating or braking & a Knocking when turning.

Zani

Advanced Member
Did a bit of full lock turning in a car park... the noise actually went away. And now it doesn't even sound on full lock... but can still hear it when normal driving.... so i think it's either a stone between brake disc/back plate or wheel bearing.

Will update after weekend when I take a closer look

Zani

Advanced Member
UPDATE - I took the brakes off... and let it idle in 6th gear.... the grinding noise is coming from the gear box casing... or maybe inner CV joint...

All gears work fine, could this be an input shaft bearing?

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Check on the end of the driveshafts where they meet the gearbox.. There are small plates that sit very close to the diff seals.. I bet one is bent and rubbing on the gearbox casing as the drives shaft is turning.

Zani

Advanced Member
FIXED - My wheel bearing had worn so much it actually damaged the hub, not sure how but Tom showed me where the metal had been worn away.

New hub and bearing.... no more grinding noises! Whooooop!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I thought I'd ask this here rather than start a new thread as they're similar symptoms.

The last couple of weeks I've been getting a similar thing to the above, grinding noise coming from the front - similar sound to when you're down to the metal on a pad or a worn disc.

Today though I drove off and the car felt like it feels on a push bike when you have a buckled wheel, coming from the front. Any ideas?

In addition to this, it's started doing the same type of knocking noise that I had when my coilovers went on me, this happens when you turn on full lock or a sharp turn out of a junction. I have read that Eibach springs are prone to knocking as they jump out of place so I'm thinking this could be the case. I'm still looking at potentially two issues here.

Worth getting it checked as it's due it's MOT either next month or the following month?