Grinding sound while engine breaking?

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
Anyone had this Grinding/metal rubbing noise before?

I'm trying to find out if this could be diff related, clutch, gearbox, release bearing or something else :xconfused:

The grinding sound is only noticeable when coming off the throttle and allowing the engine to break, if i go back on the throttle the noise disappears.

It's more prominent in 2nd 3rd 4th, and I'm not gearing down into ridiculously high revs either as it can be heard by just coming off the throttle from 3k downwards.

I've search online and found a YouTube clip of a guy who had the same noise from his civic type R

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95rch-vj9cQ

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, concerned I've gone and bought an itr with a knackered diff <_<

If anyone's experienced a cream crackered diff can you shed some light on this sound?

thanks

ijlh

Advanced Member
I‘ve no idea, but I have this exact same issue! Very interested to hear any responses or fixes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Would of thought if it was the diff it would make noise under load like cornering or acceleration?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

ijlh

Advanced Member
I‘ve always hazarded a guess at the flywheel as it takes all the energy of the engine and keeps sprinting when your foot is off the throttle. TGM are looking at mine next month so might be able to shed some light on it after then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Could be gearbox bearings, what mileage is the car on?

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
SamDC5 said:
Could be gearbox bearings, what mileage is the car on?

78k miles mate

Gearbox bearings have been mention on other forums.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
DC5RLY said:
78k miles mate

Gearbox bearings have been mention on other forums.
Sounds gearbox related to me, wouldn't hurt to change the box oil to see if it cures it

SamDC5

Advanced Member
DC5RLY said:
Think I'll pick up a 2L of MTF and give this a try first
That's what I'd do mate, start with the least expensive stuff first

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
JHilton said:
I‘ve always hazarded a guess at the flywheel as it takes all the energy of the engine and keeps sprinting when your foot is off the throttle. TGM are looking at mine next month so might be able to shed some light on it after then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
I didn't think of the flywheel.. hmm

Once TGM have checked over it would you mind popping back on here. If I find a cure first I'll give you a nudge xthumbup

spooke

Advanced Member
Could be clutch springs, TGM will diagnose it - they did mine when I had a similar thing but mine did it very low revs on power too.

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
@FireDance

I'm having the box oil changed today and my mechanic is going to take it for a drive to see if he can find where this is coming from. I'll keep you posted

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
I think this could be clutch related as Spooke has mentioned above.

I also get a sound on the odd occasion when coming off the clutch a low speed, so all pointing in this direction.

It's on the list of things to check with, flywheel, gearbox components and bearings, potentially the clutch springs as my mechanic also mentioned this morning.

I'll be back soon as I find out.

bg8

I had what appears to be the same issue on my dc5.

Noise was on engine breaking only and would disappear as soon as the clutch was pressed.

Turned out to be the gearbox bearings - think the input shaft bearing was the culprit. I had the gearbox bearings replaced when fitting a new final drive and the noise disappeared.

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
So far I've stuck in some MTF and had a mechanic drive the car and he's mentioned 'overdrive' mechanic jargon!?

When I asked him to explain he basically said a knackered bearing in the box that's causing the metal rubbing sound, and when pressing the clutch everything tightens up in the box and stops the cream crackered bearing from bouncing and vibrating.

Looks like the box will have to be cracked open to know for sure. :xconfused:

DC5RLY

Advanced Member
bg8 said:
I had what appears to be the same issue on my dc5.

Noise was on engine breaking only and would disappear as soon as the clutch was pressed.

Turned out to be the gearbox bearings - think the input shaft bearing was the culprit. I had the gearbox bearings replaced when fitting a new final drive and the noise disappeared.
Mind me asking who did the work for you bg8?