Gruppe M - cost and justification ?

morgan

Advanced Member
Quick questions -

a) Is Gruppe M simply a filter/box change ?
b) Does it actually go quicker or just louder ?
c) How much is it ?
d) On its own does it improve anything (or are further mods needed, in which case I'm not interested) ?

I am well aware of the likely noise - the DC2 had a cover on the factory filter. Take it off and it sounded like a race car. Pretty wearing full time though...

Anyway, trying to work out if this thing is worth the money or not.

ta !

DC5TU

Advanced Member
From what ive seen, heard etc

a) Its a comple new airbox, made from carbon fibre, with a new filter element inside it, and a carbon fibre scoop/air feed that sits in the passanger side scuttle panel. It comes with a new scuttle panel for this.

b) Quicker how? Itll give you a bit more power and torque, but it wont be worlds apart from std. The noise is out of this world, id get one just for the noise!

c)£330 new ish plus import duty from www.gruppem.co.jp
ill send you a PM with a draft of an email you send to Hoya @ GruppeM to get a disount to £330

d) May improve throttle response, power, torque, grin factor, bragging rights etc etc. No further mods are needed, but once the mod bug bites itll grab hold and not let go. Reccomended mods in conjunction are along the lines of a header (Buddy club / toda) Cat back exhaust and maybe a KPro

I havent got one yet, but i will get one sooner or later. they are widely regarded as the best intake for the DC5 and EP3

Get one

morgan

Advanced Member
Perfect reply !

Thanks...

This would be my only trip down the modding route. I am afraid my DC5 will be a daily workhorse and needs to retain as much value as poss. Fitting one of these is reversible at sale time, and I like noise - so will definately look at this when car arrives.

vt-marty

Advanced Member
morgan said:
the DC2 had a cover on the factory filter. Take it off and it sounded like a race car. Pretty wearing full time though...
I replaced the standard filter on my DC2 and it came with a see-thro plastic cover on teh outside of the filter....i removed it without even considering leaving it on.....surely you didnt fit a filter with that on?!?!
it covered the whole of th outside of the filter

i must have got the worng end of the stick here.....
anyway thread hijack over :lol:

Wardy7

Advanced Member
As sad as this might sound, the sound factor is worth the £300 odd quid in itself (I read on here someone comparing the sound of it to a Bengal Tiger)! :D
To get all the real benefits from it I guess you need other mods to complement it but I'm more than happy with it on it's own!

Cheers
Wardy

JT3173

Advanced Member
Defo worth it mate, sounds awsome and looks the dogs!

Get a good exhaust and mani if you can stretch to it, KPRO too once you have this, it can all come off and sell for pretty much what you paid for it.

It sounds soooooo good, what can be better than arriving at work with an even bigger smile than you do already in a standard car :?:

Beware though, once the mod bug bites...................... :lol:

morgan

Advanced Member
One final question -

Given the entry point (under the windscreen) is it

a) Hugely visible outside the car
b) Scuttle panel replacement - Are these colour coded or is it black plastic anyway on a standard car ?

Anyone got a pic ?

Thanks -

PS - Ref filter on DC2. Yes, I did mean the lid on the airbox. The DC2 had a cylindrical filter from the factory housed in a black box. Take the lid off the box and the noise was awesome...

DC5TU

Advanced Member
a) doesnt stand out IN YOUR FACE, its very subtle. Notice it if your looking though

b) the scuttle panel that comes with it is a glossy black plastic affair, different to the satin black OEM one, doesnt look right IMHO but you cmod the OEM one to suit!

JT3173

Advanced Member
Not the best but I hope they do, its not Scoob scoop!

Just to the side of the pax windscreen wiper, about 4-5 cm high.

You notice it when driving, looks ace but not really from the front of the car.

Here:

mr_tim

I was the first person to get a Gruppe M on a K20 in the UK when I fitted one to my EP3 in 2002. The quality is awesome, and the gains were good too. As has been said, upgrade the exhaust side in order to release the full benefit. TBH if you're going to change the induction I'd only consider Gruppe M or Mugen.

Evs

Advanced Member
I had one and thought it made more power, improved throttle response, and made a lot of noise - which was fun at first but the novelty wore off eventually. The airbox itself is nicely made, quality carbon piece which fits well. It comes with a replacement scuttle to accommodate the scoop, but this part is crap and lets the kit down. I modded my OEM scuttle with fibreglass etc and was happy with it after I'd done that.

I wouldn't do it again as on balance I'd prefer subtlety - but it's worth a go, something you need to try really. It's a quality part that will sell easily so not a big waste of money if you don't like it.

An alternative view for you, HTH.

dan the man

Advanced Member
All mods cost a hell of a lot for what they are. Full zorst, K pro, airbox and a mnanifold costs a small fortune for what? an extra second to 100?

But again when u gotta mod u gotta mod.