Gruppe M - Opening bonnet

tron2k3

Advanced Member
I'll be picking up my DC5 at the end of next week, and already thinking of a Gruppe M.

I used to have one on my EP3 CTR which sounded :evil:

Is the DC5 one as easy to fit?

Can you open the bonnet without releasing the Scoop?

Tia

:)

Evs

Advanced Member
Very easy to fit - probably same as CTR - but the replacement scuttle is crap, and if you use that then yes you do need to take the scoop off to open the bonnet.

You can trim a bit off the scoop to give clearance, or you can mod the OEM scuttle, move the scoop up and back a bit, and have enough clearance to open the bonnet.

Try a search, this has been covered a few times now :idea:

Archie

Advanced Member
Sorry I have to correct you Evs :D

You can open the bonnet with the air intake in place.

The kit i have may have been revised to allow this ?

The scuttle pannel is a crap fit and its a pig to stop it all moving around !!

But the noise it makes is every bit worth it !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkPpFkrnUCg

( please note this was not filmed on a public road )

Evs

Advanced Member
Archie said:

If you could then fair enough. I did try, and couldn't. :?

Maybe depends on panel fit variations between cars? Looks like it might be a 'try it and see' job then :idea:

mikegsi

Staff member
i can open my bonnet without taking the scuttle panel off, plenty of clearance and my intake doesnt look to have been modified

matt b

Advanced Member
Archie said:

( please not this was not filmed on a public road )
Nice video there mate 8)

Zero7

Advanced Member
Archie said:

( please not this was not filmed on a public road )
I'll 2nd that, it does nove arround and rummble and rattle when V-Tec kicks in, I have inserted a sponge between this and the strut brace.

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Cheers guys

Archie it sounds awesome :D

I modded the original scuttle panel on my ctr and had no rattles.

Where can I get a replacement scuttle panel from?

Evs

Advanced Member
tron2k3 said:
If you mean OEM one then Dave J (PM 'David Johnson') at Steels can get you one, although I think he's just gone on holiday for a fortnight, the lucky sod! :lol:

tron2k3

Advanced Member
Evs said:
tron2k3 said:
If you mean OEM one then Dave J (PM 'David Johnson') at Steels can get you one, although I think he's just gone on holiday for a fortnight, the lucky sod! :lol:
Thanks Evs :)

I'll drop him a pm

mad

maybe a little off topic, but i'll ask. Did anyone face any problems with the gruppe m on rainy days. What should you do to protect your engine under such conditions?

Cheers,
Giannis

DC5TU

Advanced Member
IIRC the Gruppe M has a small hole in the bottom of the air box to allow water to escape from the box?!?!

Project

Advanced Member
Dont know if anyone else has had this problem with a gruppe m and having a carbon hood, but my carbon hood sits that little bit higher up where the scoop is and because of this i got more or less no air going into the intake; had no choice but to remove the scoop and now honestly i find the sound it makes is just crazy to what it was before i even got my hood.

Archie

Advanced Member
Rains not a problem but i had to pick the snow out of the scoop before i fired it up the other morning, Also had to clear the bonnet so it didnt fill back up whilst driving.

keeping it in place is proving the hardest, ive stuck foam to it and strapped it down with velrco elastic straps :?

Evs

Advanced Member
Archie said:
keeping it in place is proving the hardest, ive stuck foam to it and strapped it down with velrco elastic straps :?
Have you tried the 'Evs mod'(TM)?

Foam pipe insulation tie-wrapped around the OEM brace behind the airbox and over the Spoon brace? Holds it in place perfectly IME

tokgeen

Hi Evs, can you show me a picture of how this is done? I mean, what it looks like when its done? Thanks!

Evs

Advanced Member
I haven't got any pics sorry, but it's nothing fancy really. Just get some of that grey expanded foam pipe insulation and some tie-wraps from a DIY shop. Take the brace off and the airbox out, and pad up the OEM brace that sits behind the box. Re-fit the box, then pad the strut brace where it sits over the box and re-fit the brace.

This basically gives you a layer of foam underneath/behind the airbox, and a layer above it, so the box is located very firmly and doesn't rattle about.

HTH?

Archie

Advanced Member
Just bought the foam pipe had to get a 6ft lenght from B&Q as it was the snallest they had :shock: only cost me £3 :D

Will fit it next week hope fully it will solve the problem

Thanks Evs :D