Gruppe M Question.

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
I took my car to the local jet wash for a good spraying down the other day and was paying particular attention to a huge bird turd very near the above bonnet inlet.

After about 10 seconds i realised. :oops:

Slightley worried,i left the car standing for about 10 mins before starting her up and then gently drove home.ie not going above 4k.

So the question is: Does the Gruppe M have a drainage hole?

I'm asuming there must be because of rain etc.

Car was and still is fine. :D

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
Yeap there is drainage for the Gruppe M, would be hell in heavy rain driving along if it didnt :?

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
chalkie said:
I'm asuming there must be because of rain etc.
Perhaps i should have worded it better. :oops:

ie:10 seconds of jet wash ferocity,facing the inlet. :oops:

Thats got to be about 3/4 ltr?????

Like i said,the car is fine.

MattDC5

Advanced Member
The drainage hole is pretty small, probably poke your small finger through it. But if it drives okay then i guess you should be fine.

Shanetyper

Advanced Member
Sorry chaps i know this is a bit off topic but where is the cheapest place to get a Gruppe m?

Rob84

Advanced Member
there isnt really a cheap place any more to get them from (other then 2nd hand) due to the crap exchange rate. They're around the £700 mark plus P&P direct from Japan now :cry:

MattDC5

Advanced Member
Shanetyper said:
Sorry chaps i know this is a bit off topic but where is the cheapest place to get a Gruppe m?
As said 2nd hand is probably your best option.

You could contact Hoya at GruppeM to get a quote though:

"hoya"

Evs

Advanced Member
The 'GruppeM vs water' question has been covered before, people worrying about driving in the rain. The conclusion was that there's a drainage hole to let the water out so it's fine unless you fire a hosepipe into the scoop - and what sort of retard would do that?

...Oh.

:lol: :D

As the engine wasn't running at the time there's much less risk of it having sucked water in, the risk is that it wasn't draining out of the airbox as quickly as you were firing it in there. If so then the water level in the box might have got above the level of the induction pipe, in which case some might have spilled into the pipe. It would have had to soak through the filter first though. I think I'd have taken the pipe off and drained it before starting the engine, but it's a bit late for that now and if you say it's fine then I think you got away with it.

My advice would be not to do it again though. HTH :p

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
Evs said:
My advice would be not to do it again though. HTH :p
:idea: Sounds like a good plan.

As i stepped out of the car to put my tokens in, I slipped in the ice and went down hard..... :cry: :cry:

Ill blame my retardedness on the fall................ :eek:

Thanks for all your replies gents.

dotty

Advanced Member
I used to put a plastic bag in the scoop to prevent any unnecessary water intake 8)

tron2k3

Advanced Member
The pressure of the Jet wash could quite easily soak the filter and due to the structure of the K&N filters water could pass through quite easily.

Maybe worth stripping the GruppeM to see if the filter is wet and air it dry.

I wonder if this will turn into a fail thread :lol:

Evs

Advanced Member
tron2k3 said:
I wonder if this will turn into a fail thread :lol:
It already is a FAIL thread. All we need now are some pics of Chalkie, his taxi, a pressure washer and some time with Photoshop... :lol: