gruppe m rattle...

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Right so ive had my car for 2 weeks now, and been slowly working through a few of the niggles I noticed when I bought it, having sorted the exhaust as mentioned in my other post I found my car has a real bad rattle at a certain rpm range, narrowed it down now to be the gruppe M.
Having had a little look on the forum I see that this has happened to others,
is it just the case that I need to start stuffing foam around the areas its rattling on, or is there a more easy on the eye fix that I can do?
it really sounds bad and will be so much nicer to drive without it... just came from a diesel which rattled and was hoping for a nice smooth drive in the dc5

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
the heat shield was jingling but bent that slightly out the way and it seems ok.. but now it seems the actual gruppe m is rattling.. if i press slightly on the scuttle scoop i can stop the rattle.. but it isnt the scuttle rattling from what i can tell

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
I had the same rattle with the Gruppe M scuttle panel. After using my OEM modded scuttle panel the rattling was gone

Indi

Advanced Member
The rattle can be cured by sticking a self adhesive 5-10mm thick foam pad at the bottom of the Gruppe M neck where it rests against the scuttle and it can't be seen if its done neatly.

Mudgey

Advanced Member
Mines been doing this as well, started sticking foam in areas where there is rubbing but haven't done the bottom and sides as of yet.

p1tse

Advanced Member
Have you got a strut brace? I've seen people wrap the aftermarket strut brace to try and stop vibrations? Doesn't look nice though, but may help?

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I've cut a section of outside pipe weather proofing that fits on the strut brace between the strut and the Gruppe M, stopped my rattle and you can't see it unless you look for it.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
ive got padding on the aftermarket strut brace, I had stuffed some foam around the end on the scuttle but perhaps need a lot more, im going to take it off soon as I have been given some powerflex inserts for the gearbox mount, so I think while its off ill check for signs of contact on the group M and attach foam in those places.. annoying!!!

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Sorted it, the box was resting on the oem strut brace, padded it out and reseated the whole unit and i now have a rattle free car