GruppeM Scoop

Project

Advanced Member
Since changing my OEM bonnet to a Carbon fibre one I have noticed it sits just that little bit higher than before, and now the height gap between the end of the bonnet and the top of the Carbon scoop is quite small, I did start to feel a little lag in the low revs so I removed the scoop which put a smile on my face as the sound was rediculous but then as I was now recieving negative air flow so I started to obtain lag in the higher revs :xredface:
Which in turn might make a few people very happy as I have now purchased a mugen airbox (waiting arrival) and will be looking at letting the GruppeM go.
Also does anyone else have this problem where not being able to get enough air rammed in?

conoroneill

Advanced Member
I'd sell the bonnet and keep the Gruppe M. More go less show.

The Mugen airbox is a waste of time and money unless you buy a 5Zigen RAM intake or the equivilent.

Project

Advanced Member
I'd be modding the mugen so I get a direct air feed, cant let go of the hood, the weight difference is just too much :D

jimmi27

Advanced Member
ive got the Mugen with 5Zigen intake, i got 234bhp at system-r the other week, my only other mods are a HKS cat back and K-Pro. Paul was impressed with the mugen when added with 5zigen, but the groupe m is the best. if you want i can show my dyno read out if that might help, but to be honest i would try and adjust the scuttle to get yr groupe M sorted, you will regret not hearing the awsome note change when you hit vtec!! :( i did after i got the mugen after the apexi one it. And being a welsh dip-stick i only found the groupe m after the mugen arrived, D'oh! save yr money, uve got the best on it now mate :)

Project

Advanced Member
Its been mixed views going on in my head, I look at what the pro's use over in japan and alot of them use the mugen so i thought it cant be that bad, plus i think if the air is fed right could be great, i have been playing about with the scoop for ages and when i got my windscreen finally replaced last week RAC used sealant on my scuttle which if the scoop sat with enough gap would be perfect as the whole scuttle looks great but the gap just gets to me, if any of you have any other ideas im open, but other wise it will be the mugen coming in, i cant risk not having enough air just to say i have a gruppem on my spec list

conoroneill

Advanced Member
I'd get in contact with a composite company and ask them to make you a taller air scoop from carbon fibre designed from the original scoop to make up for the bonnet's inaccurate design :idea:

If you're that bothered about weight why don't you remove your spare wheel and carry round a "get you home" puncture repair aerosol? There's the guts of 12KGs lost already. Almost like driving with no bonnet :wink:

Project

Advanced Member
Ahh I hate you guys :lol: you know how many times I've gone back and forth deciding what to do, now i'm there again, tbh never thought about having a taller scoop designed and it would be cheaper than buying a mugen airbox, already paid for the airbox, so I guess its anyone want a mugen airbox or i'll see about getting my cash money back.

Project

Advanced Member
LMAO :lol: nice one mate, theres apart of me that wants to get it and just see what i would be missing

turbo5

Advanced Member
I work in an aerospace manufacturing company, we make carbon fibre products. so I see them all day, to me they do nothing for me in terms of looks etc. The bonnets etc just look as though the cars been in a bump and you have bought a replacement waiting for it to be painted.
I have seen quite a few carbon fibre (Cough Cough :roll: ) bonnets. they have about one or two plies of carbon fibre on them. numerous coats of laquer and lots of fibre glass on the underside. they should be done for the trade description calling them carbon fibre.

But, everyone to their own. If you like them excellent, but just pointing out they don't do nothing for me.

Project

Advanced Member
I dont have a plain carbon fibre bonnet, i sprayed mine CW as I thought leaving it natural looks awfull on a white car, but the weight difference is very noticable when compared to OEM, but I can understand if you work with it day in and day out that it starts to do nothing for you.