Guide for fitting a Sub??

jo3y

I've had a quick search and can't find anything... is there a guide available for this that explains the best way to wire it all up?

If not can anyone recommend somewhere for car audio installs in Manchester/Stockport.... I already have the Sub and most places only seem to fit their own stuff.

Cheers

CHALKIE

Proud to be C/W.
My mate,Simon"the bully" bullen,is doing mine in the next 48hrs.

I'm going to try and do a, "HOW TO",thread. Keep 'em peeled.

:D

jo3y

chalkie said:
My mate,Simon"the bully" bullen,is doing mine in the next 48hrs.

I'm going to try and do a, "HOW TO",thread. Keep 'em peeled.

:D
Nice one :D

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
What equipment have you got and i'll knock you up a quick diagram.

Matt.

jo3y

Croccy said:
What equipment have you got and i'll knock you up a quick diagram.

Matt.
Hi Mate, that would be great :D

It's nothing serious, just an Alpine iDA-X001 HU and an Alpine SWE-1000 sub with built in Amp. It's all left over from my VX220 Turbo as that's all I could fit in it :wink:

I just need to know the best place to get the power from the Engine bay and then all the other wiring into the boot.

Cheers,

Charlie

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Ok this diagram is naff coz it's drawn in paint but I will try to explain.

Not sure what your skill level is so i'll be basic, so sorry if i'm just telling you stuff you already know.

First of all make sure you have an amp wiring kit suitable for your amplifier.

Cut a length of your thick power wire (about 50cm) connect a battery terminal to one end and the fuse holder to the other end. The fuse holder should be as close to the battery as possible, NOT in the boot like i've seen some people do. The whole point of this fuse is so if you get a short on the system the fuse will blow and prevent your car from bursting in to flames. If your short is half way down the car and the fuse in the boot?? not very helpful.

Next, from the fuse holer run the wire down the drivers side of the car and into the boot (Assuming the sub is going on the right hand side, if not route accordingly). You will need to drill a hole under the engine bay to route the wire through. I found a rubber grommet in the centre of the bulkhead so drilled a hole next to it as my power wire is THICK. Just made sure you don't drill through cables, fine a nice single skinned panel to drill through.

Thats the hard part done. you now have a positive feed in the back of the car.

On the head unit you should have a blue wire (possibly labeled remote). Run this to the boot of the car also.

Fold the rear seats down and pull back the velcro carpet. There is a metal brace that goes across the car, at either end is a ncie shiny bolt which works well as an earth point, connect your black earth wire to here and route to your amp.

NOTE: whilst doing this work leave the positive wire disconnected from the battery.

ok, almost there. connect your power wire to the amp, along with the earth and the remote. All should be labeled up on the amp. I guess your sub is already wired to the amp but if not then connect these also.

The head unit should plug straight into the car if you get the correct audio lead from halfords or similar. You shouldn't have to worry about the in car speakers then.

Not sure if there is anything else to it really, it's a very straight forward setup.

Just tidy up all the wires by routing them under the trim and then finally plug in the fuse and connect to the battery.

If you need anymore detailed info then let me know and i'll take some photos.

Cheers, Matt.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Good post, one point I have is that it's better to run the power lead down one side of the car and the RCA cable from the headunit down the other in order to minimise interference.

jo3y

Cheers.... so I have to drill a whole in the engine bay :? not sure if I'm comfortable doing that. The head unit is already in btw, I fitted that when I first got the car no problems. The Amp is built into the sub so that cuts down on the wiring to...

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
You don't have to. There is one already where the harness goes, if you have enough patience you'll get a power cable through it.

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Can't believe i forgot to mention the RCA cable, DOH!

But yeah highly recommended to run it the opposite side to the power cable.

I found the existing grommet to be too small for my needs, my power cable is about 1.5cm wide though so your maybe ok.

Drilling a hole is fine just get a rubber grommet to fit in there to prevent rust and the cable wearing away.

Matt.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Croccy said:
I found the existing grommet to be too small for my needs, my power cable is about 1.5cm wide though so your maybe ok.
Mine as well mate, or there abouts. 0 guage.

jo3y

As said it's only an Alpine SWE-1000 sub and amp combo that's left over from my VX220, so it's nothing serious and the power cable is rather puny, I'm sure it'll fit. Where abouts is the existing hole?

Currently in the process of destroying my scuttle... there's filler everywhere and I recon I'll be sanding most of the evening so this will have to wait until tomorow!

Cheers for the help.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Go to Global Ice Wired in Bolton, they are long time friends of mine, will not rip you off and do some great installs whatever your budget

Ask for Neil tell him Simon sent you 01204 522074

redcap

Advanced Member
jo3y said:
Where abouts is the existing hole?
It's at the bulk head, there are some other wires going through there in to the cabin so you can just feed the power cable through with them. It's a little tight getting it started but if you tape the cable to a thin metal skewer or similar you can get it to go pretty easy.

letterkenny

There is a passage behing the battery that comes out behind the glovebox, fiddely but as stated, anything below a monster size cable will go :D