H1 bulb low beam?

Chris-141

Advanced Member
My dc5 had an aftermarket hid kit fitted. I'm changing them back to normal bulbs, have got h1's but they don't fit the plug? Anyone any ideas?

Erm

Advanced Member
H1s won't fit in the housing for the bulb in the headlight unit itself, they are D2R bulbs that need to be fitted.

If someone fitted an aftermarket HID kit they would have likely cut off the original connector plug that connects to the ballast.

Any reason why you want to remove the HIDs?

Chris-141

Advanced Member
I failed mot on it not having headlight washers so was going to put the normal bulbs back in just

Stuarty

Advanced Member
Chris-141 said:
I failed mot on it not having headlight washers so was going to put the normal bulbs back in just
Northern Ireland MOT I take it??

Also you won't be able to fit normal bulbs to the car. What I've seen a few people do is retro fit a washer jet pipe from the windscreen washers down to the headlamps. Pretty straight forward to do and can be removed straight after the MOT easily enough.

Erm

Advanced Member
Chris-141 said:
I'd find somewhere else to MOT it personally. Whilst the law states that they need washers its hard to fail it on an MOT within the testers rules of testing.

If you are dead set on putting in an H1 bulb then you'll need to grind down the metal base of the bulb to have it fit inside the hole in the headlight housing for the D2R bulb and then get the headlights aligned so its patterned correctly. Also you'll have to cut and crimp in a connector to plug the bulb into.

edit: The above was assuming you weren't in NI

Rom

Advanced Member
Do NI test to VOSA standards ? Or different test ?

As Erm said, the manual is vague, it says they must work if fitted i think, not that they must be fitted. As if they are failing it on that criteria, it says the same about self levelling units for them.
It also says you may not be able to test these items or deem if they are working.

An aftermarket kit would usually plug into OEM plug, so id guess they have cut and made whatever connections they needed. Its only 2 wires you need anyway, so easy enough.