Halfords Milano red touch up kit??

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Hi there,

While having a browse around the car I noticed a stone chip, about 2mm squared in size on the driver side, above the skirt between the door and the arch - such a weird place for a stone chip...

Anyways, only the top layer has come off, I can still see red paint so it is not down to the primer: The car has had a respray in its history.

I was considering filling this chip with the halfords touch up kit although I have never done this before and im not too sure what the outcome will be like?

I have also got a fair few stone chips on the bonnet / bumper / splitter which will be resprayed in the future but for now I am considering spending a day or so touching it all up with this halfords touch up kit.

My question is; are these pens actually any good, do they give a good paint match and whats the best procedure about doing this? Ive seen some people apply it with tooth picks, let it try and wetsand it down and then re-polish! I do not have the confidence in doing this; I think i'll make it worse lol...

I dont mind getting the front end resprayed in time but I dont see the point in respraying the driver side for such a small chip - its just very annoying and i dont want it to get any worse.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Carl.

Filkmeister

Not too sure if this is of any help to you - but you do want to nip deeper chips in the bud, but I am sure you are onto that. I was just going to mention that you can get Milano touch-up paint direct from Honda themselves. I have used it and the colour match and applicator are "okay".

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Filkmeister said:
Not too sure if this is of any help to you - but you do want to nip deeper chips in the bud, but I am sure you are onto that. I was just going to mention that you can get Milano touch-up paint direct from Honda themselves. I have used it and the colour match and applicator are "okay".
Yea going direct to Honda may be a better solution instead of using Halfrauds kits. Do you know how much they roughly are direct from Honda?

Erm

Advanced Member
To be fair if there is still paint you'd be best just putting clear coat on the chip and then polishing it flat. Less likely to look wrong that way.

It is bloody hard to do a good job on a stone chip with paint though

maxvr6

Advanced Member
The problem with most touch up kits is they have been sitting around for god knows how long, its is a bit too thick but as above the paint match will be "ok". Freshly mixed stuff will be better and I've bought paint from those guys before and its good stuff, I also went with them off a recommendation from detailing world.

Start by degreasing and cleaning the chip out, if you have some solvent of some kind knocking about use that with a clean cloth or even kitchen paper. If you can use an abrasive in the chip to roughen the surface a little so the paint has something to cling to that would be best, preparation is key or the paint chip will fall out eventually.

Next I would recommend using a tooth pick rather than a brush as the problem with the brush is the contact is too light, you need to push the paint into the chip. Its difficult to gauge how much to apply as its something you get a "feel" for, but get some on the pick enough to evenly coat the chip with a thin layer. Using the very point of the pick, quickly push the paint into the chip all around the edges, then spread it around while its still quite fluid (quickly). Depending on how deep the chip is give it about 15 minutes then do the same again, building up the layers until it has been filled to your liking, finishing with a layer or two of the clear lacquer.

The next part is optional and depends on how brave you're feeling, this is where I would overfill the chip slightly, depending on how big the chip is you can either wait until the next day or heat it up with a hair dryer for a few minutes, let t cool then carefully wet sand with 2500 grit paper. You need to be careful here as if you're not you risk scratching the surrounding area. You can make it a bit easier and use a hole punch on the wet sanding paper and superglue it to the rubber end of a pencil, essentially making a tiny sanding tool for small areas. Then carefully sand the chip down until you have leveled it with the surrounding paint, whip out your DA polisher and some compound and buff to a shine.

HTH

carlos7777777

Advanced Member
Thanks for that informative comment max, I will be buying one of these kits tonight. I just need to get the perfect matching Milano red paint code as there is a few IIRC.

S'arrt

I bought a Milano Red touch up pen from eBay, that I will be trying this weekend on stone chips. Claims to be genuine Honda - with the correct paint code (I believe). Until I try it, I don't know if the colour match is any good though, but I'll let you know..

S'arrt

Hi Carl,

Here are some snaps of my attempts to cover some stone chips..

Honestly, I would give the colour match probably a 7/10, but I always find touch-up paint looks pretty different straight after and tends to blend in and appear smoother after some time.

Here is the paint I used : http://tinyurl.com/oof9p6l

Before :

Immediately after :