Handbrake slipping

moody_mage

A few weeks back I tightened up my handbrake cable as it had waaay too much travel (20+ clicks). I set it to lock after 6 clicks or so and all was good. This set point has now started to move further and further up the handbrake travel and now unless I actually pull the handbrake all the way up as far as it will go the handbrake slips. I noticed this when I was leaning into the boot trying to get something heavy out and the whole car moved forwards... A bit more testing had me rolling backwards down a hill even with the handbrake at around 90% of its current full travel.

I've just adjusted it again but I fully expect it to move again in the near future. Is it likely my handbrake cable is stretched too far and needs replacing?

jpstyper

Advanced Member
When adjusting the handbrake make sure it isn't pulling on the calipers too much what I mean is let the handbrake off and look under the car at the arm the cable attaches to and it should rest against a pin if it isn't on the pin you've adjusted the cables too far

ste01

Advanced Member
Even with a properly adjusted handbrake they aren't great. Every Honda I've owned from this generation (2001-2005/6) has been the same when it comes to creeping on steep inclines

moody_mage

If it wasn't on full 100% 'won't click any more' setting I could with effort push it on a level surface... Hopefully fixed that for now but would like to address for future.

jpstyper

Advanced Member
Could be cables if it doesn't hold when setup correct on the calipers but I thought the same a changed mine for new ones they have been fitted few years now and the handbrake seems too far up have you checked the pads see how much life is left in them as they are cheaper than cables also if the slide pins on the caliper are seized preventing them resetting correctly

Mark_teg

Staff member
As above, something is wrong but they're never great.
You should also always leave it in gear.