Handbrake warning light problem

JT3173

Advanced Member
My last trip to the ring saw on a few corners the handbrake warning light come on for a few seconds during a bit of hard braking and cornering but when I accelerated away or braked again it went out.

Lastnight coming off the autobahn at about 60mph on the slip road I braked, turned in and it happened again for a second or too and then went away.

Checked all the fluids but they are always fine, anyone know of anything else it could be.

Thanks,

James

###Edit### Didnt realise I had already posted about about this a couple of months back but it is not the brake fluid that is the problem so I need to get to the bottom of it!

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the switch could be a little sensitive, how far do myou have to pull up the handbrake before the light comes on?
If it is almost instant, then check the switch

I am also wondering if, under hard braking the cable is somehow getting tensioned by the action of the caliper moving as you apply the brakes which is perhaps enough to lift the lever ever so slightly bringing on the light

what pads so you have in the rear?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Have you checked for any fault codes on the ABS system? Same way to check as the CEL light, but watch for the ABS light flashing.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
don't think ABS and handbrake warning lamp is connected, in that way, handbrake warning is a sim ple switch circuit

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Have a look at your break fluid level, My GT4 did the same turns out the fluid was a bit low, topped up and was sorted.

If you do a do a fair bit at the ring then i expect you will have lost a bit over time.

Cheers,

PS The spoiler is still going well. Getting some new bits made fot it at work, Will post pics when all done, :D

Zani

Advanced Member
My civic did this, honda's handbrake warning light is linked to low brake fluid level...

check your brake fluid! :)

Justintian

Advanced Member
All, thanks for this info, as I am getting this recently as soon as a slightly hard brake.
Will top the fluid up tomorrow and see if it fix this.