Handling

Zero7

Advanced Member
I've only driven my DC5 with the hard Jap Yoko tyres until yesterday and these were awfull so I have taken it very easy over the past couple of months.

I had a set of Goodyear F1's fitted yesterday and I had a nice drive in the car today but I have noticed that the front end is still not too keen to bite into the road compared to my DC2.

I could realy feel the front end struggling to grip/put the power down around a couple of roundabouts today and the road conditions were good.

Has anyone else moved from a DC2 to a DC5 and noticed this?

I am planing on lowering soon with some Tanabe springs so this may help.

T666YPR

I had the A046s on and found them loose in the wet,very good in the dry though.

Changed to Toyo Proxes for the winter as I heard they had good wet grip..and found them worse.

I'm sure the front end grip will return with the right rubber,but in the wet,the DC2 certainly was more grippy...'til I put my first one into a tree in the wet :oops:

Zero7

Advanced Member
I thought the F1's would make a big difference (they've only been on for two days though).

I had my first spirited drive today and whilst it gripped well on the sweeping bends, it really striggled to find grip and a little composure around tigghted bends especially during change of direction. somehow the DC2 just felt more planted and composed.

rayray

T666YPR said:
I had the A046s on and found them loose in the wet,very good in the dry though.

Changed to Toyo Proxes for the winter as I heard they had good wet grip..and found them worse.

I'm sure the front end grip will return with the right rubber,but in the wet,the DC2 certainly was more grippy...'til I put my first one into a tree in the wet :oops:
Ive used toyo's and also found that they where rubbish in the wet, the wear on them is very quick on the edge of the tyre so needing a change quite soon, but think the new toyos will better for longer periords with its new tyre tread pattern.

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
When I was running Toyo's I never had a problem, that said I never really pushed it hard - 30mph is waaay fast enough for me :wink:

The PZero's on the wifes car are just apalling, the sooner they go the better! :evil:

Evs

Advanced Member
I'd agree that the standard DC5 doesn't feel as sharp as the DC2. There's just too much rubber in the suspension. Once it's turned in and settled it's OK but the transient response is not as good. Tbh I thought this was the most disappointing aspect of the car when I got it, it just didn't feel sharp enough. The car was new so it wasn't down to wear.

I got some Buddy Club lower arms (which have pillow ball mounts at the front attachment to the subframe instead of the great sloppy lump of rubber that comes as standard) and a set of coilovers, and now my DC5 is miles better than my DC2 was. I had both fitted at the same time so can't comment on the difference each part made separately.

Links to the kit on TK site here, if you're interested:

Arms

Coilovers

HTH
Evs

Zero7

Advanced Member
Evs,

Thanks for the advice, I've been warry about putting coilovers on a road car as I've heard the are a little detrimental to on road performance but great on track.

Evs

Advanced Member
You're welcome xthumbup

Those BC coilovers are not too bad on the road tbh, although they are stiffer than standard. They feel better 'balanced' than the standard suspension, as I think the standard springs are too soft for the dampers.

It would have been interesting to fit the arms first with the OEM suspension to see what difference they made on their own. FWIW I think it would be a worthwhile mod if you feel the car is too soft on turn-in - they do do away with a lot of rubber. Not cheap though. I think the arms with some replacement springs might be a good setup if you don't fancy coilovers.

Just my tuppence worth.

Zero7

Advanced Member
I was looking at fitting a set of Tanabe Lowering springs which I believe are a fair bit stiffer than standard and help reduce the height of the car by about 30mm.

I'll give that a go first.

DC5Ken

Zero7 said:
I was looking at fitting a set of Tanabe Lowering springs which I believe are a fair bit stiffer than standard and help reduce the height of the car by about 30mm.

I had a Tanabe GF210 lower springs before, they are GOOD!!

Was going to replace my front lower arms as well, but the BC are just too over price, they want about £1050 for the lower arms set :cry:

matt b

Advanced Member
DC5Ken said:
Zero7 said:

I had a Tanabe GF210 lower springs before, they are GOOD!!

Was going to replace my front lower arms as well, but the BC are just too over price, they want about £1050 for the lower arms set :cry:
So did the springs tipy up this initail turn-in problem? I had a DC2 before my DC5 and i feel the same as Zero7 about the turn-in when compared to my DC2 :roll:

DC5Ken

I had a DC2 b4 as well, after installed the Tanabe to my DC5 its felt much better but still can't get the feeling of DC2.

I just had the Tanabe on for few months anyway and now I have got the Tanabe SS coilover but its still not as good as the DC2.

sort of regert sold my DC2 and bought the DC5.....thought the handling would be much better.....althought Dixon told me is not as good as DC2..should believe him in the first place...

Evs

Advanced Member
I think the main problem with the OEM suspension is the front lower arm mount which is a great big soft lump of rubber :? . If you don't fancy the BC arms then replacing this mount with something stiffer might help. Cusco do some replacement pillow ball bushes:

Cusco pillow ball bushes

They're JPY 21k from Takakaira which is about £100 plus shipping etc, not sure whether this is each or for a pair, but either way they're cheaper than JPY 158k for the BC arms. :)