Hankook RS2 Z 212 vs Toyo R888 - Track People

Jayk

Advanced Member
Guys,

My front tyres are pretty shot, and im thinking about getting Hancook RS2's, heard great things about these, good wear, great grip, for road, and good on the track. There £79 a corner.

Anyone had these? Anyone had R888's also? Any comparision?

Ive had R888's before on my DC5, road and track, but they fall apart far to easily.

Im planning on get a track day in next month so not sure what to get, really loved the grip the R888 gave, how far off are the Hankook's? How will get feel when they are upto a high temperature?

Cheers
Jay

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
I have them on my Subaru, its grips really well for road tyre but it still not as good as a proper Semi slick like the r888 or 048r.

kingston

Advanced Member
When i spoke to Camskill, they recommended the Hankooks over the R888's.

Now im not as good as the racing drivers here but for what i want they seem to do the job well enough.

Just depends on if you want to spend the bit extra on the R888's or go for the RS2's... i reckon you should go with the RS2's and if you dont like them, sell em on

George K

Advanced Member
The Hankook is a road tyre with track construction - would be a good track day tyre because of wear, but not in the same lweague as a genuine track tyre if outright performance is what you require. Annoyingly it is a list 1b tyre even though it is harder than the RE070 which is 1a.

mikegsi

Staff member
had the hankooks on my evo (not when i crashed it though!) and they were very good tyres, had the 888's on my crx and they were far superior.

difference is really the rs2's are a fast road tyre but apparently go off quickly when they get too warm on track, but for a road tyre are fantastic (not sure about wet use though)

the 888's are in a different league altogether imo...... totally transformed the crx, both on road and track, though they dont last long!

ive bought some 888's on some spare rims ready for when my ctr arrives.

you say your only planning to do one trackday on whichever tyre you choose and the rest will be road use? not really the best time of year to be running semi slicks on the road or possibly even some of the track orientated road tyres.....

Jayk

Advanced Member
cheers guys,

i wouldnt use R888's on the road again i used them on my first DC5 great tyre but die, and in the wet there aweful, 5 hours to get home from gatwick once, i swore never again. hence the RS 212.

i might be tempted to get a spare set of rims and r888's on them and just get some "good" road tyres.

thanks for the info!
Jay

mikegsi

Staff member
Jayk said:
cheers guys,

i wouldnt use R888's on the road again i used them on my first DC5 great tyre but die, and in the wet there aweful, 5 hours to get home from gatwick once, i swore never again. hence the RS 212.

i might be tempted to get a spare set of rims and r888's on them and just get some "good" road tyres.

thanks for the info!
Jay
my choice would be just that - keep an eye out for some 2nd hand 888's on rims, they occasionally pop up on ctro (where i got mine from) then get some goodyear f1's for road use - good all round tyre

Jayk

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
Jayk said:
cheers guys,

thanks for the info!
Jay
my choice would be just that - keep an eye out for some 2nd hand 888's on rims, they occasionally pop up on ctro (where i got mine from) then get some goodyear f1's for road use - good all round tyre
yeah you got a bargin on them mike! yeah thats what i did with my other DC5 but, i had one set of R888s for track and one set of R888s for road. Im abit more sensible and cant jusitfy spending that much on tyres in a year.

JT3173

Advanced Member
Bit of a thread revival but hey ;)

After reading this thread and several other things on the internet about the RS2's being good in the wet and good in the dry but coming to point where they just could not hold on when hot I will give them a miss and get some RE070's again for the road. I know that after a couple of back to back laps of the Ring the tyres still held me in place with a nice progressive expected let go's in a few corners.

Still fancy R888's though for the track when get back on again.

kingston

Advanced Member
was reading a mates american mag and hankook have released some new tyres that where getting rave reviews from the German mags, cant remember the name though and theres also pics of the soon to be released or newly released rs3, that are meant to be better than the rs2's if thats of any help?

George K

Advanced Member
New road Hankook is the Evo 12 - German review alomst as good as the Goodyear F1 As - so I fitted them, they are nothing special and not as good in the dry as the Evo1, in particular they are much less precise and chunk really badly.

Will be interested in the RS3 - the problem for the RS2 is that the compound is much harder than say the RE070 - as I said before the RS2 has a stiffer construction than most road tyres, but iirc a treadwear index of at least 200 - RE070 140 - soft track tyres 50 , not that I can find any softs in 17" or the DC5, which are what I need for hill climbing.!

George K

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
george, do they have to be list 1a tyres?
do they have to be 17?
The do not have to be 17", and can be 1.a or 1.b under ASWMC regs for Prod Saloons - any road legal tyre. Bizarrely RE070 are 1.a and RS2 are 1.b. We had expected 1.b's to be banned for this year, but it seems ot have been deferred. ASWMC regs are on the woolbridge site for Wiscombe on 25 April.

I can see where you are going - what diameter do you recommend that will clear the callipers without running ridiculously low offsets (tyre must be covered by wheel arch and I am always suspicious of changing offset and hence scrub radius too much).

Regards