Hard waxes/sealants in winter

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Just looking for an answer from you detailing gurus about a problem that's arisen since the temperature is starting to drop through autumn.

I bought a hard petroleum based sealant particularly for the winter as they seem to last a little longer and offer better protection than the stuff typically applied by a bottle.

The first time I used it was end of August and it applied and buffed out beautifully however last time I used it on a cooler day it really hardened off on the paint and was very difficult to remove with a microfiber cloth. In fact, you can still see the wax swirls at certain angles where I haven't been able to buff it out properly.

Just to add that I don't have the luxury of a machine polisher unfortunately so any ideas guys?

Thanks,

Dave

Erm

Advanced Member
did you leave it too long on the surface?

I really wanna try chemical guys second skin 6 coating, but way too pricey at £90-100 to do 4-6 vehicles. Though apparently it applies very very easily and lasts a year+

integraleo

Advanced Member
I'm going to try ultimate naviwax soon and as you can spray a mist of water on first then wipe on wipe off it shouldn't leave any residue at all....at least that's what I'm hoping as I've not used it yet.

Ezza

Advanced Member
Just bought auto fitness tough coat to try. Apparently it's long lasting and perfect for grey, silver cars etc

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I've got the Meguiars ultimate paste wax. Easy to apply. Wait until it goes dull then buff off. Easy peasy. Not sure how long it lasts but as it's so easy to use, it doesn't matter! Plus I do it every other wash anyway so it's always coated.

anton1234

Advanced Member
Jet seal 109 is brilliant stuff, you leave it on for 30 mins to cure then buffs of easily then apply a second coat, last around 3-4 months also gives a awsum deep shine to a cw teg

Mike_DC5

Advanced Member
Gtechniq c2v3, its a sealant, lasts 8 months but probably 4 with everyday use and UK weather. Its a spray on sealant, no buffing required, just wipe with a microfibre, you don't get beading but sheeting so the water just runs off, Give it a try, only £6 from Gtechniq's website. Dave, its Mike who saw you at the BTCC at Brands...Cheers

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Lots of options, I second the naviwax though, at £45 a pot, it lasts over 50 applications, fantastic value for money, no need to let dry, just apply and remove with a little water, performs as well as £££ products. No chalky residue and it actually improves the appearance of swirls.

I have it on my new car and the CRV, the CRV, still looks amazing it's been on there for well over a month.

Megs Ultimate wax obviously pretty damn good, but does leave an oily residue that can be hard to remove, mainly noticeable on darker colours, that'll be the synthetic wax sticking like glue! Which is good, but the Naviwax has a lot of petroleum in it for the flashing (makes it easier to remove the wax) which is why it smells somewhat strong!!!

G Man

Advanced Member
Navixwax gets my vote too!

As Porthos says it's mega strong in smell, if it came in liquid form you could probably run the DC5 on it! :-D

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Sounds pretty similar to what I'm using to be honest chaps:

Porthos I'll try your idea of using a little water as that will probably do the trick.

Cheers everyone for all the suggestions but as I've just bought this I'm going to stick with it for time being. xthumbup