Has anyone bought a car from the channel islands before?

Kenz

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Ive seen a car i like over in the channel islands. The car was imported to torque gt so im guessing vat would already have been paid. Does anyone know if i will have to pay the vat again?

Also, whats the deal with insurance tax and mot? Obviously it wont have an mot due to being over there, am i allowed to drive it here on the guernsey plates until i get an mot arranged?

Any help is deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sh3lldon

Kenz said:
Google has plenty of unhelpful advice, no one seems to have a definative answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
essentially asking here is like asking google (with google you will have alot more people who have actually done it) it will be made up of answers from people who may or may not have experience in this, If you want definitive answers contact the relative bodies who will deal with the import ie DVLA and HMRC, I was just trying to assist

I would also suggest that there are plenty of good examples already in the UK which eliminate any issues with duty VAT etc

Looking at answers on that link they seem to suggest once duty is paid once in the UK you should be covered I would hope the car would have a copy of the shipping invoice (I have just paid one for another car) this invoice shows the VAT and Duty amount and then once paid a receipt is issued, the VAT and Duty is dealt with and billed for me from shipping company rather than a government body

TEG_DC5_R

Advanced Member
You will have to pay duty & VAT IIRC on the purchase price.

HMRC will require a invoice / receipt.

Some insurers will allow you to drive it on Guernsey plates whilst it's being taken for a MOT / Driven home etc but best to ask around.

Hope that helps