Has anyone painted carbon before

Vtec is a way of life

I‘m looking at buying a carbon bonnet and having it repaired and painted in championship white to match. The bonnet in question has some damage to the lacquer, leaving the weave exposed in two places. Can this still be repaired? Will it just need some filler etc
Iv attached photos of the damage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Ideally it needs some fresh epoxy resin adding back in, similar to how you would repair the gelcoat on a piece of fibreglass, i think a fair amount of strength is in the outer resin layer on 'wet carbon' as opposed to dry carbon that's been infused and baked under pressure. I don't see why you couldn't buy a starter kit from somewhere like easy composites and carry out that part of the repair yourself.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Yes this can absolutely be repaired and painted.

99% of painted carbon bonnet out there are painted due to damage.

Vtec is a way of life

maxvr6 said:
Ideally it needs some fresh epoxy resin adding back in, similar to how you would repair the gelcoat on a piece of fibreglass, i think a fair amount of strength is in the outer resin layer on 'wet carbon' as opposed to dry carbon that's been infused and baked under pressure. I don't see why you couldn't buy a starter kit from somewhere like easy composites and carry out that part of the repair yourself.
I have seen the kit Easy composites offers but I would rather hand it to a professional who knows what they are doing as knowing my luck I will some how manage to mess it up haha

So because it is wet carbon they wouldn‘t be able to just use your standard type of car filler as it doesn‘t add any strength ?

Vtec is a way of life

Chewy said:
Yes this can absolutely be repaired and painted.

99% of painted carbon bonnet out there are painted due to damage.
If I had a dark coloured car like blue black and possible silver I would 100% keep the carbon look..

What sort of price would I be looking at for a repair plus paint ?

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Vtec is a way of life said:
I have seen the kit Easy composites offers but I would rather hand it to a professional who knows what they are doing as knowing my luck I will some how manage to mess it up haha

So because it is wet carbon they wouldn‘t be able to just use your standard type of car filler as it doesn‘t add any strength ?

I just mean that's the ideal way to do it, but filler should work fine as well.

Chewy

Advanced Member
Vtec is a way of life said:
If I had a dark coloured car like blue black and possible silver I would 100% keep the carbon look..

What sort of price would I be looking at for a repair plus paint ?

Hard to say on a price. It all depends on the bodyshop in question rates. You'd be best off going to a few with the bonnet and getting quotes, As depending upon a filler repair vs epoxy repair and respray you could be looking at anything from £200 - £400+.

I wouldn't worry about the strength aspect of this either, Personally with these wet carbon parts the carbon layer is superficial, all the strength comes from the reinforced fiberglass backing that the Carbon is bonded to. So as long as there's not cracks or damage to the underside. You'll be fine.