Have i been ripped off??! Advice needed!

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
p1tse said:
interesting read

so all imported ones speedo will now be calibrated to MPH

however the total trip meter might still be in KmPH?
so in Japan the trip meter say 5000KM and then in the UK did 5000miles the clock would still read 10,000?

how confusing, think for ease for everyone it should get converted back into miles in total
Most of the odometer correction people will do this for you( i actually think this is wrong and should be made illegal) there is no reason for them to exist, however, if you must pay £100 for 5 mins work just do a search or look in Autotrader. If you have a facelift be very careful there are very very few people who can do it as the electroniccs are different inside the instrument cluster.

Aly

Advanced Member
So i pay someone £100 and they bash somthing into my engine that figures out how many miles the engine has done and sets the odo?

ian.herm01

Advanced Member
Aly said:
So i pay someone £100 and they bash somthing into my engine that figures out how many miles the engine has done and sets the odo?
No they just type the number into the software on the laptop and it then writes the number to your odo via the electronic chips on the cluster circuit board..

p1tse

Advanced Member
bit of a red area, as i agree there shouldn't be access to change the odo

but in the case of imports, i think it should be done as part of the test, otherwise future readings get too complicated IMO

tunwicks

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
I dont think the rfeading has to be changed for the sva, it needs to be converted to mph but i think the mileage reading can stay, not everyone has the right kit to change it, i also think they were supposed to put a sticker on saying something about the mileage being verified etc,

best is to pm Andy200bhp he will be able to answer your questions as he has imported more than anyone else
I thought this was good advice right at the start of the thread

Kevin Girdler

Advanced Member
Should be a rule/law that states all imports should have kms only recorded on mot/sva at import, speedo and odometer should then be converted to record miles at this time also.

This way no dodgy tinkering with the milage can/should be done.

Positives-No dodgy tinkering can be done and everyone knows(or can acurately calculate the cars milage) with confidence.

Negatives-You have to convert the recorded kms(at import) into miles before adding the miles you've then covered to get the total.

The whole milage thing has never really bothered me though which is funny as its the kind of thing that would normally.

linzi94

Advanced Member
the only way the mileage would bother me if i found out a car had done more miles than the millenium falken opposed to that advertised.

as the first and only owner of my car in the uk, it really doesnt bother me that it shows 7k more than its actually done due to conversion for sva.

redcap

Advanced Member
If it has a BIMTA certificate? that confirms the km the car had covered when presented for auction in japan.

In any case the odo can be flashed to read any mileage/km's. I had mine converted to read total miles to save confusion later, many have not been so you have to work it out.

Aly

Advanced Member
Just to clear things up.

Basicly someone can set my cars miles to anything i want? is there no law against this being done?

So rly for someone buying a car, youd have to show them a paper trail of the mileage changing on the MOT forms if its had miles added to the original KM on the clock?