Head unit instillation

RYanSMithSR

Hi guys, I‘m looking at replacing my head unit and was wondering what everyone else is using, I‘m looking for one with touch screen function and also what adapters would I need for the wiring, if anyone has any links for parts that would be great! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
If you are apple phone user then the pioneer da120 is most common.

I use a sph-da230 as an android fan. Android auto is the mutz nuts for ease.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Sorry to butt in on this thread. My current head unit is total w*nk. I'd like a DAB stereo, preferably touchscreen but not essential but it has to be a DAB and contain a CD player as well. Is there anything decent out there that's Android compatible for sub £300, £200 would be better because I'm a skin flint lol.

ian85

Crazylegs said:
Sorry to butt in on this thread. My current head unit is total w*nk. I'd like a DAB stereo, preferably touchscreen but not essential but it has to be a DAB and contain a CD player as well. Is there anything decent out there that's Android compatible for sub £300, £200 would be better because I'm a skin flint lol.
If you‘re proper tight (like me)....
I got a Kenwood DPX7100DAB for £130 off amazon.

It‘s got DAB and CD. USB port on the front. Works over Bluetooth to apple and android.

Comes with the Bluetooth mic and the DAB boosted antenna. I believe a lot of the pricier units don‘t actually come with a DAB antenna.

You can colour match the screen to the Integra red dials, not bad for a cheap unit.
Doesn‘t look the best but it does the job.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey Ian,

Thanks for the info, it looks alright that actually! I'm not overly arsed about it being too fancy although the Pioneer screen is much more modern looking.

I'll do some reviews and see what people think of it. Is it easy to tune, and do you get a good selection of DAB channels? Also do they tune in well, nice and clear?

Thanks

Marc

ian85

Crazylegs said:
Hey Ian,

Thanks for the info, it looks alright that actually! I'm not overly arsed about it being too fancy although the Pioneer screen is much more modern looking.

I'll do some reviews and see what people think of it. Is it easy to tune, and do you get a good selection of DAB channels? Also do they tune in well, nice and clear?

Thanks

Marc
Hi Marc

Yeah I briefly had a second hand touch screen pioneer which was very slick and looked very nice...but had to take it out as it went faulty. That‘s when I got this cheap one.
I‘m not going to lie, the buttons are very clicky and it feels cheap....but it is cheap.

It tunes itself no problem, just set your presets. Everything is nice and clear and I‘d say it loses signal less than my built in DAB I have in my company Mondeo. Yeah I get all the stations that I get in the mondeo too.

Whichever way you go, you‘ll probably find you‘ll be supplied with a bezel that doesn‘t fit the Integra dash...I had to buy one from amazon for a few quid to finish it off. You may already have one though if the unit you‘ve got fitted is aftermarket.

Happy to help if you need anymore info,

Ian

jpstyper

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Pioneer one here in your price range on Ebay 163712807715

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ian85 said:
Hi Marc

Yeah I briefly had a second hand touch screen pioneer which was very slick and looked very nice...but had to take it out as it went faulty. That‘s when I got this cheap one.
I‘m not going to lie, the buttons are very clicky and it feels cheap....but it is cheap.

It tunes itself no problem, just set your presets. Everything is nice and clear and I‘d say it loses signal less than my built in DAB I have in my company Mondeo. Yeah I get all the stations that I get in the mondeo too.

Whichever way you go, you‘ll probably find you‘ll be supplied with a bezel that doesn‘t fit the Integra dash...I had to buy one from amazon for a few quid to finish it off. You may already have one though if the unit you‘ve got fitted is aftermarket.

Happy to help if you need anymore info,

Ian

It looks alright actually, I'm not overly bothered on it being too fancy. Just want to be able to actually pick up some stations, the Sony that came with the car doesn't pick up a thing really, Radio 2 at a push and nothing local unless I'm near a City which I'm not as I'm North Wales. I like channels like Absoloute 90's, Rock FM, Dragon FM etc so this sounds like it'll be good for that.

What the phone connectivity like for making and receiving calls?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
jpstyper said:
Pioneer one here in your price range on Ebay 163712807715
Thanks mate, do you have the actual URL link?

Cheers.

EDIT - Have seen it now, have copy and pasted the number into Ebay thank you.

ian85

Crazylegs said:
It looks alright actually, I'm not overly bothered on it being too fancy. Just want to be able to actually pick up some stations, the Sony that came with the car doesn't pick up a thing really, Radio 2 at a push and nothing local unless I'm near a City which I'm not as I'm North Wales. I like channels like Absoloute 90's, Rock FM, Dragon FM etc so this sounds like it'll be good for that.

What the phone connectivity like for making and receiving calls?
Yeah I‘ve got Abs90s and Rock FM on fine in mine.

It‘s fine at doing phone calls. Sound quality is ok. There‘s a button on the stereo you can push and hold to activate Siri, so you can make calls without touching your phone. I‘d imagine it‘s the same with Android.
You can also pair 2 phones at once, which is useful for me as I have a work phone too.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ian85 said:
Yeah I‘ve got Abs90s and Rock FM on fine in mine.

It‘s fine at doing phone calls. Sound quality is ok. There‘s a button on the stereo you can push and hold to activate Siri, so you can make calls without touching your phone. I‘d imagine it‘s the same with Android.
You can also pair 2 phones at once, which is useful for me as I have a work phone too.

That sounds perfect then mate, nice one! I won't ask you any more questions as I'm a nuisance plus you've answered everything anyway.

Thanks again Ian!

ian85

Crazylegs said:
That sounds perfect then mate, nice one! I won't ask you any more questions as I'm a nuisance plus you've answered everything anyway.

Thanks again Ian!
No worries mate.
It‘s nice to be able to help someone out on here for a change...it‘s usually me asking the questions as I‘m not very mechanically minded .

Let me know what you go for and post some pics!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
ian85 said:
No worries mate.
It‘s nice to be able to help someone out on here for a change...it‘s usually me asking the questions as I‘m not very mechanically minded .

Let me know what you go for and post some pics!

Hey Ian, I've finally stumped up the cash and have gone for the Kenwood so thank you!

Should be here by the end of the week so I'll get it booked in next week to be fitted hopefully, can't wait hahah this stereo I've got currently is killing me lol.

ian85

Nice one bud. Hope it works out for you....cheap and cheerful!

My car came over with a super duper JDM stereo....but over here it would only pick up Radio 2

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hey Ian, really happy with the stereo but it does struggle to pick up certain stations but that's probably down to the DAB reception in my area.

It's a lot of stereo for the money in all fairness, thanks again mate!