Headlight "Cloudy"

Croccy

Show Co-ordinator
Hi all,

I'm sure this is posted somewhere but i've searched and not come up with what i'm looking for. The headlights on my DC5 are not as clear as most others. They look a little cloudy. I've cleaned the outside with some scratch X but I think the marks are actually on the inside of the lens.

What do I need to do to rectify this? Has anyone got any pictures before/after to show what difference is made? I've read about putting them in the oven or using a heatgun to open them but then what do you use to clean them? Scratch X again? What do you use to seal them back up after?

Thanks, Matt.

A link to the illusive post that people seem to mention would be ideal! :)

mikegsi

Staff member
I would wonder how the insides of a sealed unit would become marked?

The post definately exists, I've read it, I'll have a look tomorrow when I'm on a proper pc instead of my phone! :D

Edited to add

If I remember rightly a member was going to buy some cheapo aftermarket ones from eBay USA and transplant the spanking new glass to his oem units, this way the beam still shines correctly as per rhd cars

phil r

Advanced Member
These lights will suffer from condsensation inside which after time will give it a cloudy affect when you have the lights on you can see it alot suffer fom the same problem :xyes:

JT3173

Advanced Member
You bake them in the oven to soften the glue then open them up and clean them, then seal them back together.
You can also use a heat gun for this too.

Not sure on the oven temp though, search Club RSX, they will have many posts about it on there!!

HTH

Hancock

Advanced Member
i think the reason they go cloudy is due to the amount of heat that comes off the hid lamps,

LeeH

Advanced Member
Hancock said:
i think the reason they go cloudy is due to the amount of heat that comes off the hid lamps,
Nope!

Halogen lamps are a lot hotter.

Hancock

Advanced Member
LeeH said:
Hancock said:
Nope!

Halogen lamps are a lot hotter.
Yes they are, but mine have gone really cloudy and i don't think condensation would have caused this alone as i get condensation in the bottom of the lights and cloudiness is in the centre where the lights get the hottest Either way they are crap as it seems a lot of people are having similar problems.

I hope that makes sense im rubbish at trying to explain things

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Mine are proper dirty and have the same inner unit cloudy effect. I've been looking to get some blank units from American ebay as its cheap and they seem to be exactly the same, but not sure if its a matter of just swapping them over... I believe from Honda the OEM units are about £250?

mikegsi

Staff member
You would have to split them, swapping the glass only, the bulb mounts are different on the US ones

Hancock

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
Mine are proper dirty and have the same inner unit cloudy effect. I've been looking to get some blank units from American ebay as its cheap and they seem to be exactly the same, but not sure if its a matter of just swapping them over... I believe from Honda the OEM units are about £250?

Is that £250 for a pair?

qamvti

Advanced Member
Hancock said:
Yella Fella said:

Is that £250 for a pair?
Most be for one, £250 for two is to cheap.

liam225

Advanced Member
hi, i've just been out since half 6 this morning and managed to sort out my lights i sanded them down with wet and dry 2000 grit paper then used g3 compound and then t-cut then polish and it looks 110% better.

broomhead50

I can second the above. I had actually tried this the other day and was comming on the forum to tell everyone how to get rid of the scratches but liam has obviosly beat me to it. Anyway.....

My lights were filthy and had clear scrath marks on the lenses when the lights were on. I had previously tried to get them out with a good rub and some t-cut but that didn't seem to do much.

I used wet and dry 1500 and gently rubbed the entire light for a minute or so. When complete the lights look cloudy and need a good clean. I used a t-cut scratch remover from halfords (only £5) and gave them a wipe. There is a noticable difference both when the lights are off and on.

I know this doesn't solve the steamining problem but I have read lots posts from people with scratches etc.

alfie196

One of mine is scratched on the outside, looks like someone tried cleaning them with something they shouldn't have. When i wash the lens, it appears though the scratches disappear, so i'm guessing they are very light. What's the best thing to try and get rid of them?

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
Is there anyway of removing the bulb to let the moist air out? I dont fancy putting my light unit in the oven, i cant be arsed even taking it off (need to take the bumper off too)

It seems too difficult, just missed out on a second hand light on ebay, DAMN! went for £21 as well!