Headlight "Cloudy"

ci_newman

Advanced Member
liam225 said:
hi, i've just been out since half 6 this morning and managed to sort out my lights i sanded them down with wet and dry 2000 grit paper then used g3 compound and then t-cut then polish and it looks 110% better.
Did you use the G3 with a machine polisher or by hand?

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
I just replaced both headlights, save all that removing the len's and sanding/polishing hassle! :lol:

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
Dc5Dub07 said:
I just replaced both headlights, save all that removing the len's and sanding/polishing hassle! :lol:
did you buy brand new? how much you talking?

DC-5 Mad

Mine were also bad to the point of getting new ones, i think dave priced a pair about £350. From what i can remember, Anyway i had my front bumper sprayed due to stone chips and when i picked the car up the headlights looked brand new the bloke said he simply mopped them over while doing the bumper. bargain! :D

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Just thought i would enlighten you all..... your HIDs give off UV-A light and this biodegrades plastic (your headlights) this is why the lenses go cloudy... nothing to do with condensation.

broomhead50

So does that mean that putting them in the oven to release any condensation etc before re sealing is a waste of time? Im sure people say it cures the problem??

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
The only reason you should be putting your headlights in the oven is to soften the glue that bonds the lenses, i wouldn't use an oven to burn off the condensation. Use an airing cupboard with the seals off the back so you shouldn't need to.

The only thing i can suggest to get rid of clouding (that isnt condensation) on the inside of a headlight is either new headlights (£) or taking off the lenses and polishing them down but from what i read putting the headlights back together is a PITA as is the actual polishing itself. HTH

broomhead50

Yeah it does help (now that i have googled PITA and found out that it means pain in the ass) :lol: ,

I'm going to try removing the headlight and rubber seals and sticking it in the airing cupboard for a while. I realise that it may not last forever but hopefully through the summer at least.

thanks Coldfuse.

jammy84

Advanced Member
i use meguirs 'PlastX' for plastic polishing.

is there no way you can get brand new front lens only??

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
I have wet n Dry 1200 and t cut sctatch remover, should i give it a go on my spare headlight?

ci_newman

Advanced Member
BillyMcc said:
I have wet n Dry 1200 and t cut sctatch remover, should i give it a go on my spare headlight?
1200 might not be small / fine enough if you're polishing by hand afterwards

jammy84

Advanced Member
definetly needs sanded with 2000 before polishing to bring up the shine, otherwise you will have a lot more work polishing after 1200 or 1500

eXceed

Resident Driver
I had this on my headlights and all I did was polish it up with a good machine polisher (and cutting pad - no sand paper needed!) with some Menzerna Intensive Polish (P085RD 3.02). After this (took about 5-10mins per headlight) they were looking brand new again. And all swirl marks have been removed, can go over it with Final Finish polish to bring out a nice glossy shine.

BillyMcc

Advanced Member
my spare light still looks cloudy after using wet and dry and t cut scratch remover :(

Used that ice wax / polish looked ok till i buffed it off, think i need a decent plastic polish. Any ideas?

forde090187

Dont know about anyone else, but my teg, and my friends teg, have both got a few dead flies in the rear clusters! Odd!