Headlight indicator lens - anyone tried to change the colour?

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hi all,

thinking of a little mod to update the look of the PFL front end, basically has anyone opened up the headlights and modified the indicator lenses to make them clear or darker?

as the orange here makes the headlights look a lot more dated, and it would go better with my clear side indicators.

if not, does anyone know how i would go about changing the colour of this part? im guessing the easiest way would be to spray it with tint so its a dark orange colour, it would then fit in with the darker headlight internals too and let the light through?

also what is the little circular orange bit in the middle of the headlight for? i assume the same can be done with that.

cheers

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Hmm so he bought aftermarket lights and swapped the bits over. Not a bad idea.

I was looking for a cheaper diy solution though

p1tse

Advanced Member
Mate and member on here (although not sure his forum name) has clear indicators

Agree it does make it fresher

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Mate and member on here (although not sure his forum name) has clear indicators

Agree it does make it fresher

Yep it looks a lot cleaner, I like!

Since you don't know his username any chance you could text him to ask where he got the clear parts from?

Cheers

p1tse

Advanced Member
Jimmer, thanks. That's the one

Think it might have been on the car when he picked up but I'll ask him

Mark_teg

Staff member
I think it's just taken apart and the orange reflector removed, no parts needed.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
I think it's just taken apart and the orange reflector removed, no parts needed.
Hmm, you think it's an orange reflector on top of clear plastic? I highly doubt that as it would be really thick then and it doesn't look it.

Will see if anyone else knows

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
I've done it - I might have some pics on my gallery thing - I don't update it at all!

I bought some usdm headlights with clear indicator and side reflector and heated them up, removed the lense and insert and did the same with my JDM ones. Fitted the clear internals into my JDM ones and used the brand new lense, sealed them up and they look immense.

Took about half an hour each side.

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/Phelpo711/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Phelpo711 said:
I've done it - I might have some pics on my gallery thing - I don't update it at all!

I bought some usdm headlights with clear indicator and side reflector and heated them up, removed the lense and insert and did the same with my JDM ones. Fitted the clear internals into my JDM ones and used the brand new lense, sealed them up and they look immense.

Took about half an hour each side.
Thanks for the information buddy,

Yes this is exactly what fahad did.

But the usdm lights cost about £150+ with shopping which defeats the point, as I would like a diy solutions.

When you took the orange jdm lenses out, do you think they can be sprayed easily with tint?

I may just source a second hand oem set and take them apart to mess around.

OliverV

take the lens out and put clear looking amber LED in the socket. just like i did, but i did not removed the orange lens.
used this LED and resistor:

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
But if you don't remove the orange lens, then the light is still orange looking isn't it?

OliverV

yes! its still orange. even if you remove or not the orange lens, the bulb what looks just white or chrome produces orange/amber light as needed to indicate.
i just swapped this out because in the rear i have the same LED and in the mirrors i have LED aswell :)