Headlight- main beam stopped working

Reggie91

Advanced Member
So I bought some new headlights last year as my old ones were looking tired (fitted at tgm). I've hardly driven the car since but just noiticed the main beam has stopped working on the passenger side.

When I turn the lights on I hear a buzzing noise from the passenger side, then the noise stops? Is this likely to be a faulty bulb or ballast?

Also I noticed since getting the new headlights, they don't seem as bright? They don't seem to light up the road as much as they did before?

Any ideas?

jrscho

Advanced Member
Guessing the only way to find out is to test the bulb and ballast yourself to see what's not working, could try swap over the drivers side and see?

I also got new headlights last year as old ones were going cloudy looking. Expecting them to be brighter than before, but wasn't. Got new bulbs which are meant to be a lot brighter but isn't that much better. But apparently you can control where to aim the beam on the back somewhere, this wee bit you can turn. Read it on this forum when I tried searching it as I want to give it a try too! There's also tutorials for this on YouTube for an rsx, so could maybe give it a try? Need to be careful though as if you overturn the thing it can damage the headlight

Reggie91

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
Guessing the only way to find out is to test the bulb and ballast yourself to see what's not working, could try swap over the drivers side and see?

I also got new headlights last year as old ones were going cloudy looking. Expecting them to be brighter than before, but wasn't. Got new bulbs which are meant to be a lot brighter but isn't that much better. But apparently you can control where to aim the beam on the back somewhere, this wee bit you can turn. Read it on this forum when I tried searching it as I want to give it a try too! There's also tutorials for this on YouTube for an rsx, so could maybe give it a try? Need to be careful though as if you overturn the thing it can damage the headlight
I just watched the video on YouTube. Apparently Honda said not to adjust the main beam ones? Which is the ones I have an issue with. Literally all the headlights do is light up 3metres in front of me when driving.

I might give TGM a shout and see if they know anything about it.

jrscho

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I just watched the video on YouTube. Apparently Honda said not to adjust the main beam ones? Which is the ones I have an issue with. Literally all the headlights do is light up 3metres in front of me when driving.

I might give TGM a shout and see if they know anything about it.
Did you ever ask tgm about this issue in the end? Curious to know myself! My lights light up about 3metres as well so it's a pain driving down the motorway and not seeing much in the dark lol

Reggie91

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
Did you ever ask tgm about this issue in the end? Curious to know myself! My lights light up about 3metres as well so it's a pain driving down the motorway and not seeing much in the dark lol
No I didn't but I found the solution and adjusted my lights.

Turned out my bulb wasn't connected properly.

To adjust it I just took a risk and started adjusting the cog with a Philips screwdriver and making sure the number of turns were the same on both sides. Didn't realise the holes on the front panel are actually so you can get to the headlight adjuster without taking the lights off haha

jrscho

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
No I didn't but I found the solution and adjusted my lights.

Turned out my bulb wasn't connected properly.

To adjust it I just took a risk and started adjusting the cog with a Philips screwdriver and making sure the number of turns were the same on both sides. Didn't realise the holes on the front panel are actually so you can get to the headlight adjuster without taking the lights off haha
Alright I see! Was it a huge difference after you adjusted them then? Did you turn them the same clicks the same way each side or did you have to turn the other side the opposite direction due to the light being the opposite? Haha yeah it's pretty handy! I never even knew you could turn it with the screwdriver till I came across videos

Reggie91

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
Alright I see! Was it a huge difference after you adjusted them then? Did you turn them the same clicks the same way each side or did you have to turn the other side the opposite direction due to the light being the opposite? Haha yeah it's pretty handy! I never even knew you could turn it with the screwdriver till I came across videos
I honestly can't remember. I did it at night and adjusted till the lights reached a decent distance. It did take a fair few click though

jrscho

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I honestly can't remember. I did it at night and adjusted till the lights reached a decent distance. It did take a fair few click though
Ah no worries, thanks anyway! I gave it a blast on Tuesday night, I can't remember what way I went either but luckily I got both sides right! But my screwdriver was also slightly small so sometimes it was hard to turn the thing so I lost count how many clicks I did so both sides were a guess lol oops.. so before I couldn't see and now it's great! But my left side is abit too high as I can see about 5 lanes to the left and it see down the road ages away haha I can see signs lighting up about a mile away and when I drive past them I find the reflection blinding so I wonder if it's blinding other cars... so might have to adjust it lower now.

How far did you park from a wall to adjust? I think I was way to close as when I tried to adjust the light beam didn't seem to move much! So think i need to park further away to try

Reggie91

Advanced Member
jrscho said:
Ah no worries, thanks anyway! I gave it a blast on Tuesday night, I can't remember what way I went either but luckily I got both sides right! But my screwdriver was also slightly small so sometimes it was hard to turn the thing so I lost count how many clicks I did so both sides were a guess lol oops.. so before I couldn't see and now it's great! But my left side is abit too high as I can see about 5 lanes to the left and it see down the road ages away haha I can see signs lighting up about a mile away and when I drive past them I find the reflection blinding so I wonder if it's blinding other cars... so might have to adjust it lower now.

How far did you park from a wall to adjust? I think I was way to close as when I tried to adjust the light beam didn't seem to move much! So think i need to park further away to try
I parked around 5-10metres away from my garage. How many clicks do you recon you did? More then 10? I still want to adjust mine some more

jrscho

Advanced Member
Reggie91 said:
I parked around 5-10metres away from my garage. How many clicks do you recon you did? More then 10? I still want to adjust mine some more
I think I only parked about 2 metres away haha thought it wouldn't make much of a difference how far but guess it does matter! Ummm well at the start it was just over 20... then lost count.. I reckon over 40 clicks hahaha which probably explains why it's abit bright! Since you did say takes a good few clicks but guessing i went a few too many...